86mayfair

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hi all

I am about to embark on my first full rebuild but I'm not sure what order to go about it?

I was thinking along the lines of taking off all of the trim and interior, then taking the engine and gearbox out and stripping them, then getting the body done and starting to build it up again from there including all the suspension etc

What do you all think?

#2 jdawg558

jdawg558

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yep Thats all you can do lol. I'm in the middle of a rebuild and i just stripped everything off and out including subframes down to a bare shell and started on all the welding,replacing panels,refurb and rebuild subframes. Next will come the respray and engine rebuild etc. Its a long old process that involves a lot of work but you do get a sense of pride when its done. Good luck!!!!

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

As above but when you take items off then either bag them or box them along with a tag. Take lots of pictures especially wiring.

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Personally, I wouldn't strip the engine and gearbox until you are ready to rebuild them. Otherwise you'll just have bits everywhere.

You'll be amazed how long a restoration takes.

#5 86mayfair

86mayfair

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thanks guys!
I'm currently gathering loads of boxes and plastic bags to file everything away after using a wire brush wheel or wire drill attatchment to clean it all
Yeah I was planning to rebuild the Engine and gearbox straight after I strip them and I'm expecting it to take about 2 years, hopefully no more

I'll be sending the body off to be done by a professional. Expensive, I know, but I've never done any bodywork before and that is the most obvious thing you can get wrong and I want it to look a million dollars. I am more than happy enough to do all the mechanical stuff though.

I think I'll leave it rolling for as long as possible just to make it possible to move it around and outside if needs be. I'll be keeping it under a cover in the garage when I'm not working on it though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users