44 replies to this topic

#1 The Vert

The Vert

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:53 PM

All i can find on the net is very basic blue prints. Have any of you got blue prints of a space frame/ or shell of any mk of mini (up to 2000)?

Any help would be ace, thank you ;D

#2 Mono Guerillo

Mono Guerillo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Are you going to produce a 3D CAD model of a Mini? Which package are you using? I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while with Pro/Engineer, I’ve done a wheel which was pretty simple. But after hunting round on the internet I couldn’t really find much in the way of plans to use for the rest of the car. I think that there isn’t any.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

I've done a 3D Max model, can't be that accurate though. I've just used some blueprints I found on the internet (and posted the links to here a while back so search for them!). I used them for a base, reference pics and the thing on my drive as a guide.

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

I'm a CAD user too, I have been thinking about doing some 3D models for a while. Do you reckon ther are enough of us on here to team up and divide up the work? It'd be really cool to produce a full on 3D mini!

I use MDT and AutoCAD at the moment, though we are 'supposed' to be going to Soliworks soon.

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

Well if you want I pretty much have a full shell that I could make a lot more accurate. However I'd like to own a system that could deal with a model with every part modeled!

There was someone who was interested in creating a library of CAD models and plans, I think it was MRA Minis.

#6 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

i have CAD at school but i am cr*p at using it so i look forward to someone producing something really great from it ;D :)

#7 Mono Guerillo

Mono Guerillo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Do you reckon ther are enough of us on here to team up and divide up the work? It'd be really cool to produce a full on 3D mini!

The problem with that would be, since a lot of us are all using different packages which one should we use, I’m not too familiar with interchanging between formats but I can only assume that it’d be tricky. I spose you’d have to go with whichever one most people had access too. I’d be willing to have a stab at any of them really, as long as someone could get me a “ahem” copy of it.

#8 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

at the moment i can use autocad and autodesk inventor.
have used inventor before for producing 3d drawings of parts i have designed, like the holder for my mp3 player in the dash.

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Do you reckon ther are enough of us on here to team up and divide up the work? It'd be really cool to produce a full on 3D mini!

The problem with that would be, since a lot of us are all using different packages which one should we use, I’m not too familiar with interchanging between formats but I can only assume that it’d be tricky. I spose you’d have to go with whichever one most people had access too. I’d be willing to have a stab at any of them really, as long as someone could get me a “ahem” copy of it.

There should be several formats that are common across all packages, IGES, 3DS or DXF. Plus most packages now have the ability to be saved in competitors formats.

#10 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

All i can find on the net is very basic blue prints. Have any of you got blue prints of a space frame/ or shell of any mk of mini (up to 2000)?

Any help would be ace, thank you ;D

In answer to the original question, I doubt there is much information freely available, there are a few people on here that would do the CAD info for you (myself included) but it would take alot of time and therefore would have to cost some moolah I'd think.

#11 Barney

Barney

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

Solidworks?

More chance of getting your mini on the road this year!

#12 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

Solidworks?

More chance of getting your mini on the road this year!

Well, lets be honest, neither is that likely!!!!! :) ;D

#13 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

format is not really an issue, solidworks can open quite a lot. i am personally using pro-engineer

I remember about a not so old thread where it was proposed to make a blueprint / cad library acessible for the members, dunno where it's gone though

in a crazy dream, anybody had ever though about producing mini's again? ;D

#14 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

I just wanted to have a 3D Mini in a standalone 3D environment so you could change things and make your own mini.
Which shouldn't be too hard once an accurate model is done.

Posted Image

#15 millsminis

millsminis

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

Well i'm a CAD user too.....

I use Pro Engineer, AutoCAD, Microstation and Solidworks.

Think it will take a lot of time to produce a full 3D model but it all really depends on the detail required and accurancy....just imagine measuring everything??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users