#31 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Tupers: Thanks! yes, me too!!!

David: yes i would rather have used a decent car LSD, however for a 1.0L block this thing is huge, and leaves very little room to play with.

Indeed the low-end and 2wd ATV's mostly have a solid rear axle, but the higher end 4wd ones and the work-horse farm machines have fully independent suspension, front, middle and rear diffs, diff lock etc etc.

I am now faced with the challenge of building a frame to support the engine and diff.

2 questions for you fabrication peoples:
1: Whats the best type of kit for finishing/prepping/profiling tube ends?? a disc sander? all the ones ive seen seem to be geared towards woodwork...?
2: I need to get the driveshafts spliced (ATV inner pot/Cv joint to the mini outer CV) - obviously not something i can tackle myself as i dont have access to lathes etc. Any ideas where i can get this done?

#32 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

1: Whats the best type of kit for finishing/prepping/profiling tube ends?? a disc sander? all the ones ive seen seem to be geared towards woodwork...?

The best tool would be a tube notcher. If you're only doing a few tubes then you may be better off marking the tube with pen and using a flap disc on an angle grinder to notch it.

2: I need to get the driveshafts spliced (ATV inner pot/Cv joint to the mini outer CV) - obviously not something i can tackle myself as i dont have access to lathes etc. Any ideas where i can get this done?

I think either Watsons or Allspeed offer a drive shaft shortening/modification service.

#33 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks - I ended up buying a disk/belt sander - as im only using square section at the moment.

Thanks for the shaft advice, i'll contact them today :-)

progress update:
Spent the afternoon tacking the messy task of de-greasing the driveshaft/cv assemblies in prep for (whoever does the) shortening.

Next task: do a full, measured mockup of the diff and engine and take measurements for the frame/cradle. This is intended to be solidly mounted to the engine and diff, and then mounted to the subframe via poly engine mounts.

#34 Chris79

Chris79

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Not aware of any round here

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Righty then!
We have progress.

Having tracked down a suitably small but rugged diff, and a pair of driveshafts, i decided i'd mock up the positioning:

The only down-side with this diff is that its straight-cut, so will probably be a bit noisy. but to be honest over the chain and engine.... well you know!

and in-situe:

Monica watching on.....

Posted Image

So the plan is to attach a sprocket to the end of the diff input shaft, and drive it via chain from the gearbox output :-)
The diff is a 3.5:1 ratio, which is higher than the 2.4:1 of the original rear sprocket on the bike - therefore gearing this for acceleration as opposed to top speed... i honestly dont want or need to go over 90 in a mini!!! let alone 180!!!!!!!

Thats gotta be the quickest skateboard around...

#35 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

how are you getting on any joy

#36 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Im struggling with the custom driveshafts... ive had 2 quotes so far, and they wand nearly £300 EACH, which is clearly not going to happen.
Probably because im asking motorsport engineering companies, im going to have to find a local machine shop that can do splines.

I mean jesus it's a steel rod with slits in the ends!! i'd do it myself if i had a lathe...

Waiting on a couple of other quotes

#37 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

I personally would get them cut and welded first until the conversion/diff, etc has been proven, if everything works out then spend the money on a set of custom driveshafts.

Geoff Berrisford from GB Engineering does unbreakable driveshafts at £160 each, as long as he has your splines he could do them

Cheers
David

#38 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

r1mini: yes im going to do that for the one, for now, however the other (driver's side) will need to be fully custom, as the diff is so far left...

#39 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Seen as you've got to have custom drive shafts have you thought about running equal lengths shafts with a supported shaft going from the diff you the right side of the subframe?

#40 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Seen as you've got to have custom drive shafts have you thought about running equal lengths shafts with a supported shaft going from the diff you the right side of the subframe?

Yes - thats EXACTLY what im going to do - due to the un-avoidable diff location, its actually my only choice.

i started building up the engine support cradle yesturday, its going to be a complicated frame....!!

#41 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Geoff Berrisford from GB Engineering does unbreakable driveshafts at £160 each, as long as he has your splines he could do them

Cheers
David

Just gave them a call - sounds reasonable

#42 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

coming along:

Added a combined strut brace and upper engine stabiliser:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

wheres the clutch

#44 brad-the-bear

brad-the-bear

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

within the "engine" am guessing

#45 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Is that a TVR in the background. Keeping a close eye on this project, will be awesome when its finished

Kieran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users