Photo
- - - - -

Fitting anti oil leak kit form minispares?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Finally got round to fitting it this afternoon and I must of balls something up because 2nd and 4th are really hard to get into gear and keep popping out and reverse is the worst. I know why it's doing this because I've obvisiously screwed something up.

What I did was I dug out the old seal, looked inside couldn't see anything else so I put the new rubber seal in then I put the metal bit on then I put the gaitor on and put it all back together, the metal bush was near the hole but not in it. Did I have to dig another thing out? Thats what I'm guessing.

Oh and heres what I bought

Anti oil leak kit

#2 Billy

Billy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

you've put it in wrong
its the metal ring then the seal then the belows bit

#3 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

First of all, its quite common to find that there are two oil seals fitted on the engine. This was the old method to try and stop leaks.

I always fit the metal ring in first with those kits, with the small rubber o-ring round it of course, followed by the rubber seal.

Sounds to me like either there are to many things in there, which is stopping the mechanism moving forwards, or the metal seal has popped out...

#4 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

Ah ok, I looked for 2 seals but after the first one there was metal. I'll try digging out the rubber seal tomorrow, hopefully not damaging it in the process and try refitting it. Does it matter what way the rubber seal goes in?

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

yes, it needs to fit with the recess on the inside (or the writing on the outside).

Whats happening is the metal ring is prevent the selector collar (and therefore the selector) from moving forwards enough to engage 2nd, 4th and reverse. I'd remove the metal ring and leave the rubber seal in, see how it goes then - but if you can get the rubber seal out without damaging it then put the metal ring in first - don't forget the dust cover too - looks nicer if nothing else!

#6 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Yeah thats what I was thinking about doing, if there isn't a leak when I drive it tomorrow I'll just remove the metal bit because I don't want to remove the rubber seal when theres oil in the engine.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

How old is your engine? What Mini Spares don't tell you about this kit is that it's just a metal version of a plastic part that was already fitted to late A+ gearboxes. Most of them don't need it, or need the plastic spacer removing before the metal one can be fitted if there is a bad leak or a sloppy selector rod. You definitely seem to have too many bits in there, and it should always be metal or plastic sleeve first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users