#1 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hello.

I've had a search on the internet and in the forum but can't seem to find any details on building a class 1 autocross mini.I no it has to be standard 998 engine but what needs doing to the body,can you build a roll cage or does it have to be a bought one?etc.etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,Bacon.

#2 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

Try checking out the proper autograss websites for rules and regulations. Regs regarding cages are changing from 2007 so anything you do now might not be legal come next year. Autocross rules and regs are completely different so you'll have to track them down elsewhere.

NASA website

Yorkshire Dales forum

#3 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:03 AM

I know with SEGTO autograss, you can build your own cage, and wouldn't of thought it would be any different.

You can build a car on a budget, but you're not going to get anywhere. We have built a engine to the regs (rebore, engine decked, head skimmed, etc), and have got decent suspension, tyres etc and I'm not exactly winning stuff.

#4 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

I know with SEGTO autograss, you can build your own cage, and wouldn't of thought it would be any different.

You can build your own cage providing it complies with the rules set out by NASA.

You can build a car on a budget, but you're not going to get anywhere. We have built a engine to the regs (rebore, engine decked, head skimmed, etc), and have got decent suspension, tyres etc and I'm not exactly winning stuff.

A Class 1 autograss mini is a standard 998cc car. We didn't race last season but in 2004 I came 7th in class at the Ladies' Nationals as well as coming 2nd in class in our club and Gray came 3rd in class for the mens' class driving the same car. So it's not all about how much money you can throw at them.

You can pick up a NASA-compliant Class 1 mini and trailer for about £500 if you look in the right places.

Our season kicks off on sunday......looks like it'll be a wet one !!!! Cool !!!

And just to add that the engine in the car at the moment was a spare standard 998 which we had lying around. We had to throw it into the car as an unknown after the other one died a death on the track.

#5 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

Yes you can build your own cage with the minimum requirements being 1 inch box section and built to match the NASA specified design.

Best thing to do if you want to build one is contact NASA at the above site and they will sell you a set of Class 1 rules for £2 !

Posted Image

#6 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the information off everyone.Its very helpfull.

I've had a look on the websites and I'm going to send of for the regs.

I'm going to a local meet to have a closer look at the cars and have a word with some of the owners.

Thanks again.

Bacon.

#7 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

Good luck !!!

It's good cheap fun !!!! :rolleyes: :-

0 user(s) are reading this topic