7 replies to this topic

#1 matbence

matbence

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

I have a perfect condition HS6 carb lying around, along with a water heated manifold for it
what else do i need to fit it to my 998 mini mayfair, as it looks far to big, do i need a special filter, cause there aint much room back there for it?

#2 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:24 AM

....You need a bigger engine.

#3 matbence

matbence

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

i have a cooper S (1380 i think) engine lying around, to put in my mini picadilly (with twin carbs), so i want to put my HS6 on the mayfair (bit of a waste otherwise)

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

Has the 998 been modified at all? Its a bit overkill for anything but highly modified 998s. The most you want on a 998 is a 1 1/2 carb (HS4 or HIF38) where as your HS6 has a 1 3/4 throat size.

Saying that it would still work once tuned correctly. The standard airbox and filter should fit, alternatively if your fitting a pancake type filter then some gentle persuasion of the bulkhead maybe in order.

I'm also unsure of whether you'd need a small bore or large bore manifold, if theres any difference? :rolleyes:

#5 matbence

matbence

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

im fitting the HS6 as the only HS4s i have are in a pair, and i dont really want to fit twin carbs or break up the pair.
As long as i dont get any reduction in performance due to the HS6, i see no reason to not fit it

Wont "persuading" the bulkhead:1)be difficult
2)weaken the car
3)possiby cause me to fail my mot?:S
the standard airbox ill fit, hmm

I think the manifold is a fairly standard one suitable for 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inch carbs from mini sport

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

How many poeple need to tell you that this carb won't work on that engine before you start believeing them? It's far too big, a standard or even pretty highly tuned 998 won't draw enough air to get a good venturi in that carb. The fueling will never be right. Don't fit it.

Edited by Dan, 25 March 2006 - 01:23 PM.

#7 matbence

matbence

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:14 AM

oh ok, which is better for my 1380? twin HS4s or single HS6, as i have heard that twin SUs can be a pig to set up

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

Depends on what you use it for really. If its your daily drive I'd say stick the HS6 on since it will probably give you better fuel economy. The twins will be harder to set up, but unless you absolutely know what your doing you should have either tuned by a rolling road anyway. The twins will be more responsive and, IMO, will sound nicer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users