#1 CooperSport99

CooperSport99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi there,
Recently having problems with my electricalssssss.
Started about a month ago where I had problems with my battery turning over, immediatley suspecting either the battery or the alternator. with further observation over the month, the alternator is showing signs of functioning ok, ( have the heater fan on withe engine ticking over, then rev it and the heater fan will speed up). And the car would sometimes fail to start, and have to be jumped, which it always would. This said to me, it had to be the battery. SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE. fitted the battery yesturday and it did the same, really poor turn over speed but just enough to start it. My moldel has a voltometer and is showing interesting readings, when I start the car it is showing 13 , so its saying charging, however, when I am driving it will show below 12, even if i have no lights, heater nothing on! I then jumped the car off my dads mondeo which has a huge battery on it but it still turned over REALLLY slow! Today I drove the car again and am also having some idling issues, mainly hunting for its idle or reving at 2000! Just wanted to ask if anyone had had any similar problems! and could help me out with what to do!
Cheers
ROB

#2 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Check and replace both earth straps and connection points - one in the boot from battery negative to body, one in engine bay from block to bulkhead.

#3 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Earthing problem most likely. Check the strap in the boot and the stap n the top engine steady/ OS mount.

Failing that it could be a dodgy or damaged battery cable.

#4 CooperSport99

CooperSport99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Ok, brilliant thanks guys il see what happens :)

#5 CooperSport99

CooperSport99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the prompt on the earh cable, IT WAS THE PROBLEM! However I mainly due to the rubber steady bar bushes that I put in in the summer and a corroded cable. I replaced the bushes with genuine rover ones, and a new cable and it went like a dream! the genuine bushes are massivly better that the minispares ones tooo :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users