16 replies to this topic

#1 dgear1984

dgear1984

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Following on from my topic "K6 red phone box wanted" on the mcr forum.

I have been offered a phone box from a MCR member in Stourbridge although I am having trouble on working out how is best to move it.

The easiest way was to get a man with a truck and a hiab to collect and deliver it but due to the distance (Stourbridge to guildford) they wanted in the region of £600.

Considered hiring a 7.5 truck but the problem would be how to load the box with the main problem being it is vertical and the most ideal way to transport it would be to make it horizontal. The box is located at a private address so no use of fork lift etc.. Once the box was horizontal loading would be fairly straight forward.

The boxes can be dismantled but after being built for nearly 60 years, I'm sure it would not come apart without a fight so best transported "whole"

Bear in mind the box weights appox 750kg, is 3ftx3ftx8ft, so big, tall and heavy.

Keen to get the phone box but cant justify spending £600 on getting it moved and conscious of trying not to give the seller the run around.

Help, any suggestions, please?

Thanks Dave

#2 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image

#3 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

The average truck bed is around 4 foot from the ground. Back up to the box, tip the box toward the truck, use a blanket/rubber mat or similar to protect the box and prevent it sliding, then two people should easily be able to tip it on its centre point, then place three rollers behind and lower the box onto the rollers, then you can simply roll it forward and as one roller is passed, move it to the front to continue rolling.

Huge objects can be moved in this manner, including steel shipping containers with the help of a 5 ton jack! if you were closer, i would show you how easy it is

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

get someone else to do it, as a back load job, or get a local builders firm or grab lorry company to load it onto your lorry and then unload same way

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

It would fit in the back of a lab transit. Lots of foam and an A frame to lay it on a couple of pallets, then as many people as possible to feed it into the van. A strongish bloke can lift 75kg, so work on a dozen. We moved a bus engine that way a few months back. Just make sure you have enough people both ends.

#6 dgear1984

dgear1984

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

Finding a vehicle to carry the weight has not really been the problem. The main problem has been finding a safe way to "lay the box down". Im still not sure about the man handling approach.

If the box was laying down, it would be easy to move and lift.

Someone has suggested "back load jobs" which is looking like a good option at the moment.

#7 CLM

CLM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

*looks around for a pic of that rally mini with the phone box on top* Aha!

Posted Image

* whistles*

Chris

Edited by CLM, 01 October 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

Finding a vehicle to carry the weight has not really been the problem. The main problem has been finding a safe way to "lay the box down". Im still not sure about the man handling approach.

If the box was laying down, it would be easy to move and lift.

Someone has suggested "back load jobs" which is looking like a good option at the moment.

That is why you use an A frame, easily made from 2 pieces of 4x4 timber. Have been used for thousands of years for lifting/ lying down incredibly heavy things. Even been suggested for Stonehenge! Just need to make sure you have enough people.

#9 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'd suggest finding someone with a 3.5 tonne flatbed and a hiab. There is a few about but they are about, it will be capable of lifting it, and won't cost a bomb in derv

#10 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

My thinking is a recovery truck. Using the rollers theory (small bits of scaf or similar) as the beds are curved and the winch would be ideal to pull the weight. I'm pretty sure the driver we use (we are based in stourbridge) would do this delivery for around £200 and we are always around at this end to help load (for the small standard TMF fee of 'a few beers')

A built up mini front subframe would be ideal to use as a dolly to stay with the theme! Haha

#11 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Just reverse a flat bed transit up to it, put a sheet of ply behind it and carefully tip it over so it is leaning against the back of the truck. Tie a winch or at least a couple of ratchet straps between the head board and phone box, then just winch it up and push at the same time.

Easy.

Ratchet straps work ok as hand winches (although very slow) if you get stuck, I've winched a range rover and a 70's yank muscle car onto steep trailers using 2 ratchet straps and another pair of hands.

#12 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

I agree with the above.

I have a 1500lb marine whinch which i use on the back of my truck which may be slightly under rated for your phone box but i think that it should be suitable for pulling the phone box onto a back of a truck.

A lad at uni got one delivered but as you say, that came off the back of a Hi-Hab.

You should be able to lean the phone box back with a few hands, onto the back of a flat bed and then winch it up?

What would youe plans be for it? They make excellent shower cubicles!

#13 dgear1984

dgear1984

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

What would youe plans be for it? They make excellent shower cubicles!

Thanks for the ideas.

Its mum's 60th soon and she has always wanted one. Im not sure why, or what she will do with it. Maybe a small green house but red

#14 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Extra downstairs toilet :lol:

I reckon, as Yoda says, that a few men would easily be able to rest its centre point on a vans load bay edge and, as the pivot point is half way down the box, much less effort would be needed to fully tip it. Place rollers under the box in the load bay and push. 3 man job :)

#15 ShoutforJoy

ShoutforJoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+, Automatic Mini Register

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I would try an advert on shiply.com. I'm sure you'll find someone to move it a lot cheaper than £600 and if you don't it hasn't cost you anything to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users