Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi!

I have just bought this speedo, which was advertised as a mk1 Cooper S speedo:

Posted Image

Now I know this is not the standard Cooper S speedo. As you can see it has a trip odometer and a black bezel. It looks very mk1 Mini to me, but I'm not sure. So I've been looking around on the internet and found this picture:

Posted Image

This speedo looks very similar to the one I bought. So my question is, what have I got?

Edited by Ibexx, 09 October 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,047 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

You have a speedo as fitted to the 'works' rally Minis and as available to private owners for their rally Minis. They were in KPH as most rallies were on the Continent and a trip reading was added as well as the normal odometer.
The bezel is satin black to reduce in-car glare.
What a find you have - it must be worth a lot of money. Well done.

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

It could be a Works speedo or a copy. There are probably more copies than originals. As a matter of fact (and interesting timing) I am currently assembling such a copy myself but mine will be a 120 MPH unit instead of 200 KHP. Mine will also likely have a chrome bezel. Nick at Min-e-Bitz is probably the most knowledgeable about Mini speedometers. He could probably tell you if yours is original or not.

#4 Ibexx

Ibexx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Wow, that's exciting. Very cool if its an original one. It's in the post now so I will contact Nick when I get it. Are there any sure signs to find out if its an original or a replica? Must be a lot of work to make a replica.

Thanks for the information!

Edited by Ibexx, 09 October 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,047 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Even if it's a replica it's still great to have and quite unusual. After all, the 'works' just got standard ones modified in the same way as your, so really there is no difference. A nice find there.

#6 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

That is a modern reproduction of a works Mini speedo.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

62S, what about that speedometer tells you it is a reproduction?

I have been looking for detailed pictures of the real Works gauges to use as a guide for my project but I haven't found any good pictures. Your advice and comments are welcome.

#8 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

At a guess, the trip reset button. Its the only difference i can see..

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

I don't see an issue with the reset. On 1960s Smiths speedometers with a trip odometer the reset was handled by a cable that attached to the back of the gauge and was then routed to a spot under or on the dash. The archive picture above shows the reset knob on the dash above and to the left of the speedometer. I don't see the cable in Ibexx' picture but it may be sticking out the back or not even attached.

#10 Ibexx

Ibexx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

This is what Nick from Min-e-Bitz (very helpfull chap, thanks Doug) said:
It is either Japanese or Welsh. Yes Caerbont whose name is on the voltage reg are in Swansea in Wales.
The screws on the back are very wrong.
There are no SN numbers.
It really looks too fresh. Nice though.
Nick

So I think we can safely conclude it's a replica and I will therefore use it in my mk1. Problem I have now is how do I find out what speedo drive I will need? There aren't any numbers on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

It is in the spacing of the trip digits and the I, II III gearchange indicators which are white rather than yellow.

Despite the Mk 1 bezel, I've also just realise that the backing is a Mk 2 rather than a Mk 1 because it has fixing for the the green indicator light at the top.

Edited by 62S, 12 October 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#12 Ibexx

Ibexx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Are you sure because there seem to be a lot of mk1 speedo's with the indicator light at the top?
Posted Image

Posted Image

I always thought it was a difference between Morris and Austin, or maybe Deluxe and normal versions?

#13 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

If this has been made by Caerbont, (they have the Smiths manufacturing rights), it is very likely that they will have used a later speedo rather than a genuine MK1. That does not take away from the fact that it is a very nice and probably expensive speedo.

#14 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Regardless of the gauge's origins, I like it. In my project I am mounting a 1280 TPM speedo from an MGB behind the Mini face. However, to match the 120 MPH movement I needed to make a new scale/face for the gauge and I have never found a font that really matches what Smiths used. Every character set I find that is close in shape is too narrow/fine even when specified as bold.

Thanks for pointing out the jewel difference. I had not noticed that in the archive photo there is no jewel at the 12:00 o'clock position. My Mk1 has its factory installed 200 KPH speedometer (without trip) and it has "something" in that position. I don't think it is a jewel, just a filler. Regardless, my car's speedometer has something in that location. For my project speedometer I am using a donor gauge from a Morris Minor. That only had two jewels, one for high-beams, the other for the ignition warning lamp.

The screws on the back are definitely "wrong". I don't think that takes away from the gauge you bought though. Who sees the back?

#15 M14esp

M14esp

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi don't know if this helps anyone but this is a genuine mk1 cooper s speedo Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users