#1 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

When Mini Mad Me told me about a kit car show at my local track, Oulton Park, I was tempted to go and have a look. Then I realised that the Z-Cars would be there showing off their beastly minis the decision was made.

I jumped in the beast and zoomed off towards Oulton Park only to get within earshot and become confused by some rather random signage?? Apparently not the only one as I passed a Ferrari and a Cobra driving a similar direction. A quick glimpse of the race track and I managed to find the elusive entrance.

I reached the gates and realised that Kit cars got in for £5 cheaper entrance. The Marshall asked if my car was a kit car, I innocently replied “Does it count as a kit car if you re-shelled the car?” (not that I had, but worth a shot). Apparently not! I then asked if I got a discount for driving such a cool car, another “No”, the guy was paying hard ball! Ah well, £10 lighter and I was in.

I met up with Mini Mad Me and Mini Sprocket in the pit lane and immediately notice 2 rather impressive minis on the circuit, one VTEC and one bike engined beast.

The amazing engineering that s Z-cars:
Posted Image

As my official role on the forum I felt it only proper that I have a go in both minis and let you, the members, know my impressions of both minis.

Me and the top chap Chris, discussing technical mini things (maybe :rolleyes: well looking professional at least):
Posted Image

Z-Cars – VTEC mini

Who's been sitting in my seat:
Posted Image

Well after discovering that the person who used the harness before me thought the lap belt went under their armpits!!, I was ready to rock and roll. Off we set and immediately all my senses told me that this was a serious bit of kit car. The sheer acceleration pushes you back as corners approach you a little faster than in my 998 (Only a bit mind). Speeds of 70 are reached within seconds and reduced by the phenomenal brakes just as quickly.

Just looks so good!!:
Posted Image

With a rather strange looking smart kit car in our sights it was time to take on the track. Not a problem in this machine as it gobbled huge section of the track with ease. We were soon trailing the smart kit car like an Exocet missile and only backed off due to oil on the track (who put that there?!?!). We approached the main straight that ran along the pit lane doing a sedate 70-80 mph when as Chris was about to change to 5th the gear stick slipped and he put it in 3rd!!! Well that was a new one for my and as the mini started to shake violently from side to side I became less comfortable with my new found profession! but Chris case on the case and quickly realised what had happened and managed to find the right gear, phew!!.

Another fast lap was then completed with my admiration for this fantastic car at maximum. Then it was time to head back to the pits and try another Z-Cars creation......

Z-Cars – R1 mini

Posing?, who me??:
Posted Image

After the long anticipation I finally sat in the monstrous mini. We set of on a slightly damp track so Chris was taking it easy!! I spent the first few seconds of the ride trying to work out why the only dial on the dash went from 9000 to 15000?? I’m sure some of you more quick witted folk have worked out it was indeed the tacho!!! Yikes!

Me and Chris who can build a superb car, and isn’t to shabby at driving them very fast!:
Posted Image

Well after a brief wait for the marshal’s to clear some road kill (r.i.p. little pheasant) we were off! My first reaction as we launched at the track and the engine let out a ferocious war cry that leaves you with no illusion that you’re in a normal mini. I thought the VTEC was fast.....well it just went to the next level.

This mini was meant to race and even in the rain you could just sense the cars potential. Its stuck to the track even when it was thrown into very challenging twisties at Oulton Park. The acceleration was immense, braking superb, but for me, it was all about the noise!!! (Very technical I know) no need for a stereo with that soundtrack!

I can now see why Ade wanders about with that silly grin on his face now!

General Impression:

The mini are a superb examples of British engineering and speed. If it’s a super fast daily drive you want then id be tempted by the VTEC mini and if you desire a track day warrior then it has just got the be a bike engined beast!

For more information go to Zcars Minis

Many thanks to Chris and Simon of Z-Cars for making this possible and Mini Sprocket for the photos.

The beast and MiniSprockets mini at Oulton Park:
Posted Image

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

Good work! Excellent journalism :( Put a smile on my face! ;D

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:56 PM

Excellent work CB!
Very imformative, I wish I'd had a go in them now really ;D
Are you going to email a link for this thread to Chris 'Z-Cars' Allanson??

#4 Tru Playa

Tru Playa

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

yea great story dude sounded like 1 hell of a day.

#5 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

MMM Z cars ;D did you see them at MITP last year they had the honda conversion there.

#6 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

ahh, the things you force yourself to do for us, CharlieBrown. and all in the name of investigative journalism. where do i apply to take over your job? ;D

#7 * Specialized *

* Specialized *

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

;D good work mate, sounded like a good day

#8 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

Ahh well, shame i missed it, i told MINI MAD ME it was on aswell!!! ;D

#9 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

LOL finally someone understands I'm not a mentalist headcase! ;D

It's the mini's fault!!!! :(

Having just finished fitting my Trickshifter once tested that grin could just be getting worse!!! :( :thumbsup: :w00t:

#10 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Was chris impressed with your nerburgring jacket Charlie?

Sounded like an amazing day... wish I has been there, I could spend the day alone drewling over the top pic car.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

What CB did not show ;D

This is the Z cars team removing what can only be described as sods of grass from the underside of the car as it had at some point on the last outing the car had fallen off the track. :P

And Charlie and Chris being held up while the road kill was removed from the track :crazy:

#12 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

Great report CB!

The white one looks very tasty! ;D

#13 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

Was chris impressed with your nerburgring jacket Charlie?

Well who wouldnt be!!

And if you look closely in Mini Sprockets first added pic you can see im chatting to a lad with the same jacket!!!

He workrd for Bentley but hadnt actually been on the ring, ugghh ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users