4 replies to this topic

#1 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

From what I've read, the Mk3 began in 1969 with the major changes of internal door hinges and roll-up windows. I recently purchased a 1977 Mini which I assume is a Mk3 due to the year and doors. However, the VIN plate on the side of the engine bay reads "MkII". This has caused me some concern about the validity of the plate. But yesterday I attended "Veterama" in Mannheim and saw another Mini with internal hinges and roll-up windows and it was labeled as a MkII as well. So what's the story? Were exported (left-hand drive) Minis labeled differently? Also, any reason the year is not stamped on the VIN plate?

#2 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I was of the belief that the Mk3 ended production in 1976, so if you have a 1977 model I would have expected it to be a mk4. :unsure:

#3 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

yep you are correct avv it.

however, i had a 1976 auto mini, and it had the drip rails etc ( the norm on mk3s) but had a single cable brake line ( should have had a double) and a single bolt subframe ( should have had twin bolt)

looks like when they ran out of parts they just used the new make ones..

#4 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

OK, so I checked and I probably do have a Mk4 (single tower bolts, twin stalk indicators), but I don't have reverse lights. This car is brand new to me, so I'm still learning about it. There are two wires running from the base of the shifter up to the dash, so maybe the rear lights were swapped out at some time... But I still don't understand why the VIN plate is labeled as a MkII? The rivets holding it in place look to original.

#5 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

maybe someone reshelled it? the lights you are describing are the correct ones for a mk2 - mk3 so maybe someone reshelled it and put the mk2 lights on :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users