Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

Having read countless posts and articles im feeling unsure... :rolleyes:

I have a stage one kit made up of a mish mash of different parts:

Hiff 44 carb (which i know is monstrously big but mechanic friend managed to adjust it so it runs fine)
Improved Inlet Manifold (water heated)
3 - 2 - 1 Exhaust Manifold
2" Exhaust pipe (not sure what type it is, only has the one 'box' at the end)

From reading calver article on Mini Spares will buy a K&N air filter and drill some holes in my casing.

Would there be any justification in buying a Stage one kit from Minispares etc , so that i have all the correct parts i.e smaller exhaust pipe and manifold, or maybe it would be better to replace some parts instead of the whole kit?

At present i cannot fit my old - standard - carb to my inlet manifold as the bolts are out of line. If i bought the stage one i could re fit my carb with the new needle. Have saved some money up and am in position to buy the kit, however as the engine runs fine at the moment with no problems would there be much noticable improvment on my mini if i bought the correct kit.

(i know buying a 998cc Engine would be a good way of increasing performance but if i get one will need to know whether to bolt all this stuff on to it or put it on ebay, lol)
Si

#2 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:13 AM

Buying the proper kit can only improve running. The carb is way too big and 2" exhaust. Too big.

If you buy one of the stock kits don't forget that to get the optimum performance from fitting it, you WILL have to get the car on a rolling road otherwise you have just wasted your money.

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:21 AM

you have pretty much got a stage one kit already.

just buy the bits you need and get it rolling roaded.

a hif 44 is way to big for an 850 a hif 38 would be better.

#4 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:55 AM

And the exhaust is too big also.

#5 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:38 AM

thanks for comments but i know my exhaust is too big as is my carb. As i have said however i cannot fit my 38 back on as the connections on my inlet manifold are too far apart, would need to buy a new inlet to fit my carb.

If this was your mini with all the stuff fitted would you buy a new stage 1 kit?

#6 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

Yes. By the time you've replaced all the bits separately you might as well get a new kit. Then get it rolling roaded :D

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

a hif 38 and hif 44 are the same size from the outside. all the connections and the inlet manifold will be the same.

not having a go but i am just trying to save you some money

#8 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

Which is why he will need a new manifold !!

#9 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:51 PM

Which is why he will need a new manifold !!

Que? The HIF 38 and 44 have the same bolt pattern to the inlet manifold and will bolt up just fine. His original carb must be a HS2 if it doesn't fit.

My opinion would be, get the filter, and have it rolling roaded. In theory a 2" exhaust and a HIF44 is too much, but if they can get the right A/F ratio with those parts, then why replace them? If they can't then it's £30 spent on the RR, and then ebay the exhaust and carb, and get a 38 and a decent smaller exhaust.

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

What you have is basically a Stage 1 kit for a large bore engine. You could sell this on Ebay or on here for a bit of cash (if its all in good nick) and use that money to put towards a proper Stage 1 kit for a small bore engine.

The HIF44 carb, whilst you may have got it to run ok won't be performing nearly as well as a HIF38. And running a big bore exhaust like that won't be creating enough back pressure for optimal performance.

If you want to get the best from your engine it would be prudent to swap your stuff.

#11 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

thanks for your advice. looks like ill be swapping at all over.

however am aware that it is not running efficiently at the moment but would changing over to correct parts give a noticable increase in performance? Have a bit of a list to work through on the mini and if i get a noticable performance increase then will add it to it, if it is more so that my engine is running at better efficiency then will probably add it to the bottom of the list as have had it checked over my mechanics who say it is running sound atm.

thanks again

si

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

You should see a performance increase, and you may even get better mpg, but remember, to get the best from it you'll need it properly set up at a rolling road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users