#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,828 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I can remember following this epic world trip on BBC TV Nationwide when it happened in 1980/81, reminded when the two Mini's recently sold on ebay.
I have now found all the original publicity material relating to this expedition that was filed away in my loft and the monthly reports sent back, so have posted them below, more reports on the trip to follow later........

Photo from the original expedition:

_57-twmini_zpsc8feaed5.jpg

Two Transworld expedition Minis, "barn find" dry stored for the past 30 years.
WORLD EXPEDITION MINI'S "JACK AND JILL"
Both these cars were donated new by British Leyland. Prepared by Cornish Leyland dealers (Mumfords) for an epic world trip to raise money and awareness of Polio, the cars have consecutive registration numbers COJ 756V and COJ 757V
Sponsored by various Cornish and national firms inc, BP, Goodyear, British Leyland, Comp-Air, Castrol, Kuehne and Nagel, Sealink and BBC Nationwide tv, two identical cars, both lhd and prepared with many mods ie rooftop air cleaners, twin fuel tanks, rollcages,oil coolers and 11 stud cylinder heads, cooper s reverse rims, both cars only fitted with one seat for extra carrying capacity.
Many dramas were experienced on the trip including being arrested for suspected drug smuggling.
A film record of this journey was made and excerts were shown regularly on BBC TV.
At the end of the world challenge both cars returned to Mumfords that had originally prepared them, they lay in thier compound for a couple of years as ownership of the cars was not clear, eventually it was agreed a donation to the stop polio charity would be made and ownership transferred to a cornish museum.
The cars were displayed for the next 20 years until the closure of the museum and have since lain in a barn neglected.
Both cars now need a FULL restoration, "Jack" is the better of the two, both still have all the original features, twin tanks etc etc most panels on both cars will either require replacement or major repair, Jill has had the engine and gearbox stripped and it is in the back of the car in boxes.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

View pictures of the two Mini's at Photobucket here:
http://s1067.photobu...lio Expidition/

Transworld.jpg

Transworld-1a.jpg

Transworld-2.jpg

Transworld-3.jpg

Transworld-4.jpg

transworld-5.jpg

TW-sht-1.jpg

To be continued.........

Edited by mab01uk, 30 June 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

As a result of the original TMF post above, I was contacted yesterday by the current owner who has been searching for some time for any information on the trip. As a result I have scanned the rest of my info for him and also posted it below to share

The rest of the original reports on the 'Transworld Mini's' journey..........

TW-sht2_zps0776216a.jpg  
TW-sht3_zpsc8833d7b.jpg

TW-sht3a_zpsc1286fa6.jpg

TW-sht4_zpsc313b5ac.jpg

TW-sht4a_zps6710e7ee.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

TW-sht5_zps2698d8f8.jpg

TW-sht5a_zpsefbf3279.jpg

TW-sht6_zps847eb37a.jpg

TW-sht6a_zps252f86bf.jpg

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

TW-sht7_zps4040f43d.jpg

TW-sht7a_zpsd15b41a2.jpg

Tw-sht8_zps1ac0d706.jpg

TW-sht8a_zpsd8180fa6.jpg

The whole journey was 60,000 miles and took 13 months

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Copy below of the reply to my letter sent in 1981 at the end of the expedition on the future fate of the 2 Mini's.

TW-letter_zps66fc7f5c.jpg

Transworld-6_zps29bcc70e.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

For sale again on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c424c4e32

Quote from email received earlier from the current owner:-
"after much thought today I have decided to advertise them and see what happens, ive had them a couple of years already and also have a very early 1969 1275 GT I really want to get done next, if they don't sell I will keep them and do as I said just restore the one car.
I really appreciate you taking the time to send me those copies you have and even if I end up passing the cars on it will be invaluable to the new owner, I very much doubt there are any other copies of the paperwork surviving anywhere."

DSCN7635Medium_zps94969d5d.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Quote from ebay ad:-
"I am unsure of the exact origin of these engines, both have the 11 stud cooper s heads but strangely they both also have a strange oil filter mounting position (see pic) which means the block casting is completely different to any other mini I have seen ?"

I guess below is the reason for the oil filter position on the block.....South African A-series engines fitted !

sa-oilfilter_zps82a2ba65.jpg

South African 1275GT
"While the Clubman story was very different in Australia, as detailed in Issues 19 and 25, the South African Clubman had its own unique history – particularly the 1275GT. Like Australia, South Africa dictated local content levels to obtain import excise rebates and greater tariff protection. However, where Australia’s local content rules were based on a percentage of production cost, South Africa’s was based on a percentage of vehicle weight."
"Based on the UK 1275cc Cooper S engine block, the South African engines featured integral side covers and an internal oil filter gallery, which allowed the filter to be placed high on the block, above the starter motor. Like the Cooper S engine, the bore was 70.64mm and the stroke was 81.33mm to achieve 1275cc. 1098cc was easily achieved with a shorter-stroke crank and different pistons (and requiring a different camshaft), giving a stroke of 69.85mm – as opposed to the 68.26mm of the 1071cc Cooper S.
This allowed a great deal of interchangeability of parts which, combined with the 1275cc unit being used in the ADO16 models and a local 1300 Marina, provided a significant cost saving over using different engines.
With this background, the South African Mini Clubman was released on 6 August 1971 – ten days before the Clubman was released in Australia. Unlike the Aussie Clubman, though, the Springbok version looked very much like the UK version, with concealed door hinges, full-width winding windows and no door pockets."
http://miniexperienc...-26/1275gt.html

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#8 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

I have just read this on and off throughout the evening and am really intrigued by the story.

If i had the cash and the space i would certainly consider them.

Thanks for posting this up.

Ben

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item540c0a5c57

Latest ad includes this link to an interesting blog with photos written by Tim Ferris, a driver and mechanic for the Transworld expedition.

_57-tw_zps9f1fef42.jpg

Mini World Adventure:
"It started in the autumn 1979; I was a third year apprentice at the British Leyland dealers in Truro (Mumfords) and had been rallying a Mini Cooper S the Garage had agreed to prepare two mini’s for a round the world trip and I was asked to do the work. It took a couple of months, all unnecessary trim was removed a safety roll cage fitted, the body was seam welded and strengthened, rally seats and underside protection added. In early 1980 I was then asked if I would go on the trip as the mechanic, I had only recently met Mary, my now wife, and was only part way through my training. Although everyone else said I should go I wanted it to be my decision so firstly agreed to go on part of the round England publicity tour. After getting engaged to Mary and agreeing a year sabbatical from Mumfords and the college decided to was too good an opportunity to miss. As well as the garage there were several other sponsors, from Compair Holmans, Kuhne & Nagel and the BBC’s Nationwide programme, the trip was to raise awareness for a Stop Polio Campaign in Malawi to prove Polio could be eradicated if a cold chain was set up. So in April 1980 we drove the cars to London and had a big send off at the BBC with Save the Children fund and Ian Drury of Blockheads fame a Polo Suffer.
To begin with it was just Tony Clarke (34) an entrepreneur from Penryn whose idea it was and the expedition leader and myself (20). In Paris we met up with our first (more about this later) cameraman Previn Thakur (now a Bollywood film producer) and then drove to Marseille to catch the ferry to Algeria.
I am sure the BBC decided to support the expedition as they thought it would not be possible to take two Minis’ around the World and in fact British Leyland at the time said they would not guarantee and Land Rover could do it! So we very naively entered Africa and had our first encounter with bribes, baksheesh, backhanders whatever you like to call it. There were over 30 ships stuck in Algerian port and with the help of the British Embassy we managed to get the cars and camera equipment through customs and headed off towards the Sahara. The first 1000 miles the road was tarmac, not very good in places and only one lane wide which meant when someone came towards you moved to the left keeping one wheel on the tarmac the other in the dirt, unless they were bigger than you, which let’s face it most cars are, and you moved completely onto off the road. We bought extra water and fuel plastic tanks to carry on the roof rack of Jack to extend our range."
Parts 1 - 12 are here:
http://roundtheworld.../10/part-1.html

Edited by mab01uk, 04 July 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#10 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Fascinating, well done mab01uk.

Your loft must be in danger of collapsing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

That's brilliant, thanks for sharing it!!

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

These have been re-listed on ebay again

#13 swift33

swift33

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Good evening,

Sorry to dig up an old tread but I thought this would be a good place to start.

I've had a good look over the internet as I was very interested in these Minis when the were up for sale a few years ago, unfortunately I missed out and failed to buy them. I was wondering if anyone knows of there whereabouts,?

I'm a huge classic car enthusiast and would love to spend my free time on restoring these great pieces of motoring history.

If anyone knows of any information on them a contact I would be very greatful.

King regards.

Sean.

[email protected]

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,958 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

Amazing adventure and looks a real good story. I'm looking forward to reading it in the coming days.

Now this really is (or was) epic and all for a good cause.  Pre-internet days too and very much a different era.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

Good evening,

Sorry to dig up an old tread but I thought this would be a good place to start.

I've had a good look over the internet as I was very interested in these Minis when the were up for sale a few years ago, unfortunately I missed out and failed to buy them. I was wondering if anyone knows of there whereabouts,?

I'm a huge classic car enthusiast and would love to spend my free time on restoring these great pieces of motoring history.

If anyone knows of any information on them a contact I would be very greatful.

King regards.

Sean.

[email protected]

I suggest you contact the last ebay owner/seller of the Minis in 2014 below, who I sent all my information gathered on the expedition in 1980/81 (and as posted in this thread), as he will know who they were sold to.

Business seller information

Lotus Racing

the old forge, bury old road, ainsworth
bolton
Lancashire
bl25pf
United Kingdom

Phone:07971|845395

Edited by mab01uk, 18 June 2017 - 08:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users