clarkymini92

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hi All,

please can someone help. I have a 1994 mini spi. The wiring has been awful from day one since the day i owned it. My plan is to slowly re wire it one wire at a time.

Iv been reading up in many mini forums and all say about the relays and in line fuses etc. but none tell me exactly what to do. i have a general knowledge of minis and am learning with everything i do, i wanted to know if anyone could tell me or show me how i can start to rewire my car.

I want to know, what relays are where, what they do and if to replace them if they have never been done before.

what amp wire i would need for everything, what amp fuses.

Every little detail would be great please.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks everyone.

#2 Realminiman

Realminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

im sure someone more expert will be along shortly. Having done some re-wireing myself id say if your gonna change the whole loom you could only do it whilst completely stripping the car, ie a rebuild.. it may be better just to only replace what you actually have too with the car intact.. good luck with it anyway/.. ;]

#3 clarkymini92

clarkymini92

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hi thanks for the reply, i was thinking about just doing that but the faults are so intermitant around the whole of the car. If i toich the fuse box sometimes my car wont start! Touch it again and it starts ..... minis!

Anyone else got any ideas?

Thank you

#4 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Before you start anything, you need the right information by having the proper wiring diagrams for your car. Then follow the electrical path for each fault that you have found on the diagrams from end to end. As you do this with each additional fault, look for patterns that might show something common among them, such as a common earth point, physical location where the loom runs through and so on. By following this process you can tell if you have to a bad earth point or a crushed or pinched wire(s) or even bad connections. After that then you can decide what the fix should be.

Hope that helps,
Ivan

#5 clarkymini92

clarkymini92

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Before you start anything, you need the right information by having the proper wiring diagrams for your car. Then follow the electrical path for each fault that you have found on the diagrams from end to end. As you do this with each additional fault, look for patterns that might show something common among them, such as a common earth point, physical location where the loom runs through and so on. By following this process you can tell if you have to a bad earth point or a crushed or pinched wire(s) or even bad connections. After that then you can decide what the fix should be.

Hope that helps,
Ivan

Thats brilliant, thank you for you help. i will try to find a good guide. i find the haynes manual soooo confusing but i will try my best. i want to start by fiting a new fuse box then re wire on wire at a time.

Thanks

#6 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

mate i have a workshop manual for the mpi but im not sure how relevant they are to the spi, ask JUJU on here who found me a link as i think he may have an spi, it will give you all the diagrams you need, however they may be along the same lines as the haynes

#7 clarkymini92

clarkymini92

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

mate i have a workshop manual for the mpi but im not sure how relevant they are to the spi, ask JUJU on here who found me a link as i think he may have an spi, it will give you all the diagrams you need, however they may be along the same lines as the haynes

Cheers Fossy313, i appreciate that. Il drp JUJU a pm if i can and ask him.

I want my mini back on the road!! haha

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users