#1 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOC

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Ok the next step of my renovation/restoration is the engine out and removal and replacement of the wiring loom.
Im really not looking forward to this as wiring is not my stromng point (not that I have a strong point at all) but im pretty scared.
Anyone now of any guides or tips to help me along the way. My plan is loads of photos and masking tape to label stuff up.
Does anyone know of any suppliers of new looms and prices?
Cheers Simon

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

New looms are available from Minispares, and would highly recommend them... even now at about 150 notes, they are really worth the money and there's not chopping or changing required.. and they fit

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

There's nothing hard about replacing a standard wiring loom, they are designed to be fitted by monkeys on production lines. Even the cables that might get mistaken by colour blind employees are identified with an extra colour sleeve. Use a pull cord through the roof (the old loom coming out will pull it in for you) to pull the loom into place. Take a couple of pictures so you remember the correct routing and join wires of the same colour onto each other. Took less than 10 minutes on the production line (until the injection cars came along) and shouldn't take you more than an hour to fit on eeven if you've never done it before. If you read the wiring diagram correctly then it shows you everything, the rough length of each bit of loom, where all the joints are and what connects to what where (unless you're using the rubbish late wiring diagram with all the circuits on different pages). It's very easy, just don't snag the insulation anywhere.

Oh yeah, Minispares or Auto Sparks are good for looms.

Edited by Dan, 28 March 2006 - 02:41 PM.

#4 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

I think you about summed it up. Label and photo your old loom, and when you replace it, logically go through your labels and photos and plug things back in.

I actually found the Haynes book of lies to be useful when it comes to "lost" colours too. At least if you do get in trouble you can trace things, and if not, you always have us! (Big aaaaah please! :D)

Can't help on suppliers I'm afraid. I'm building my own loom!

#5 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

cheers for the reply's people (politically correct)
ive taken loads of photos of the engine bay and tommorow im going to start putting labels on all the wires.
Are the new looms available complete looms as they list all different models inc van/estate. The car from I can see only has a very small (2 fuses) fuse board does this come with the new stuff as mine is all corroded and green?
cheers again
Simon
I like the comment about monkeys being able to do it, it at least gives me a bit of confidence!!!

#6 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

I doubt if they include the 4-fuse box (they've gotta make money somehow :D ), but you never know.....

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

Unless you buy from Auto Sparks you won't be able to select just a main or rear loom, you'll have to get the whole thing.

If it doesn't come with the two-fuse box they are still easily available from Mini specialitsts, a new one is a very good idea.

#8 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

OK
gave autosparks a ring and the woman was very helpful, with my car being an oddball im not sure what loom I need though. Its got an early fuse board with just two glass fuses, but ive got a front mounted radiator and I think an early pre inertia started motor as its quite small and just a round cylinder.
mmmmm need to try and identify what ive got. If I post some pics would anyone know if it was early or late?
cheers Simon

#9 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

sounds like an early loom, just that you have a different rad fitted (won't make any difference to the electrics AFAIK). Chuck us a piccy up of the engine bay anyhow so we can be sure.

#10 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for all the replys its great to know theres people out there to help.
Heres some pics of the engine bay and rad connections. Apologies for the bad quality there of my phone (and ashamed to say before I cracked open some cans!!)
Fuse box is definately early and im going for a centre speedo dash and just going to get a shift light instead of later spec dials and rev counter, shift light will be just an extra light on teh dash somewhere so I know when im killing the engine.
Im going to get a new rad as the old one doesnt look to good just not sure what I need.
Any other comments about the engine bay would be great as ive no idea if its standard or not?
cheers Simon

Attached Files

#11 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

definately not standard! Theres a late brake booster on ther, and the front mounted rad is not standard either. That switch on the rad looks like a BL part, and by the looks of the header tank, I'd assume it's a Metro part.

I won't comment on the wiring identification as I don't know enough about early cars, but that switch on the rad is not used on early ones at all! It's normally used to switch the electric fan on Spi and Mpi cars, so I doubt if any early loom would have it on at all! Is there actually an electric fan fitted? (i'd assume so, but.....)

#12 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

thanks for the reply.
As im new to the mini scene I didnt realise it was non standard. Yes it does have an electric fan, it doesnt have a plug on the fan just two wires coming out that are connector blocked into the loom.
If I bin the front mounted rad and get a stanrdard rad and fan that should enable me to bin the expsansion tank and use standard wiring and hoses should it not.
I would rather use standard stuff and besides the water hoses are cut and joined all over.
Brake booster shouldnt be a problem should it as theres no wiring to it?
Cheers Simon

#13 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

When fitting a rear loom do you have to remove the fuel tank?

oh and what bits do you need to fit it?

Electrical tape.

#14 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:08 PM

I haven't tried it with the tank in, but even with it out it was a PITA to get it down the C-pillar.

Electrical tape is good. A pack of bullet connectors will probably be good too. those suckers have a habit of pulling off.

When you take it out, before you pull it through the A-pillar, tape a long piece of string to it. When you pull the loom though the roof, it'l leave the string in place, and you can reattach the new loom to the string and pull it back through! :lol: It may be a bit hit and miss though as the bundle of connectors on the end will be quite large and may not fit through some of the gaps in a bunch. tape them "in'line" so that it keeps the diameter as small as possible.

You may find that you have to lower the roof lining on the passenger side too. In theory the loom runs in the channel "inside" the body, but there is a small gap that may come in handy. try it without first and see how it goes.

A pair of long nose pliers might come in handy for fishing the wires out of that channel to the interior light too.

#15 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

Well im attempting it with the roof lining in so i hope its possile.

Id read about the string idea, sounds good.

We shall see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users