10 replies to this topic

#1 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

Ahh I love George for his ability to keep me on my toes. That is love defined with a dash of "do that again and you can meet my other friend - Mr Sledghammer" . >_<

Got back from work knowing full well my air filter is sucking too much air in causing George to have hiccups...temporarily fixed by a thoughtful club member in Taunton who knows all too much about minis. :D Any way - pull up to the garage, get out and just over the rolling over idle over the engine theres a randon "click...click..click-click cli-click....click" sound. :ermm: For safetys sake I pop bonnet to check what is is. The sound seems to be coming form the alternator, or the fan hitting the shroud - more the alternator area though. :-

Lights have been working fine, indicators and any electricals havent shown much of a problem (aside form doggy wiring). Is there anything temporary besides finding prices for a good alternator that I can do? Would really like to nip this in the bud asap guys.

Cheers! :D

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

bump

#3 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

Mine made a similar noise and i replaced it with the 70amp job from mini spares, the alternator is now in a scrappers as its seased up fully.

Get it replaced as soon as possible.

#4 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

with the 70 amp version, is it wise to get a new battery aswell?

#5 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

I kept my old battery on it and it was fine. Although are you sure its the alternator, take fan belt off and spin it. Does it sill make the noise?

#6 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

heh dont have the time to check - I cant run the risk of having a non-running car in the morning. I'm sure its coming form the alternator. So deffinately a replacment jobby?

#7 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

Yeah best idea, also its always good to have a backup even if its not the alternator, the only other thing coulld be the water pump..... saying that how loud is the click and what does it do corresponding to the idle revs? Is it quicker than the idle or slower? (If you understand that)

#8 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

pfff hard to answer - its more random clicking - but slower rate than the regular idle turn over. Certianly isnt "in time" or "in sych" to the idle turn over, nor is it in time to the fan spinning. The rockers arent making the noise either - checked them to make sure.

#9 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Well my 998 had a similar click click click but it was random too, couldnt find the source of the click, we suspected the timing chain which is quite serious, first of all start with alternator and maybe water pump.

#10 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

i have another sugestion here, a click click sounds like your fan could be hitting something, just one blade will be enough, it is hard to find out, i had this problem.

ok what you need to do is open the bonnet and start the engine, normal safety precautios applied first.

operate the throttle and watch the fan, does the click stop when you do this, and after you have let it go back to idle does the click come back. if so then its just your fan, you will need a new one or 2nd hand, but you can solve the click with a stanly knife. locate which blade is catching, and trim it a little on the leading edge.

places to look at, arond the water pump and at the clips for the heater to top hose connector.

hope this helps, and let us know how you get on

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

A click at idle from the back of the engine that comes and goes at idle and roughly half the engine speed, may well be the fuel pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users