6 replies to this topic

#1 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

which ignition switched fuse could i use to feed a set of wipac spots?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

You can't. The wiring isn't anywhere near capable of supplying that much extra power on the ignition fused circuits. If you happen to have an MPi then there should be a position in the fuse box ready for them, if not then you will have to build a small loom taking power from the starter solenoid to supply them (via a fuse) using a relay to control them so that they are only on when the ignition and main beam (and an extra spotlamp switch if you like) are active.

#3 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

using a relay to control them so that they are only on when the ignition and main beam (and an extra spotlamp switch if you like) are active

why only when main beam is on? i cannot see any legal requirements of this type for driving lamps?

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

I seem to have just typed this somewhere else.....

There is no such thing as a driving lamp legally. The lamps you are fitting are optional main beam headlamps and will cause dazzle. It is not permitted to cause dazzle, it is not permitted to have any main beam headlamp illuminated while the dipped headlamp is illuminated because it is required that in order to prevent dazzle all main beam headlamps must be extinguished and dipped beam illuminated by the action of the same switch. So you can't just have the driving lamps on another switch and promise to turn them off if someone's coming the other way, they must be controlled by the same switch.

Edited by Dan, 29 March 2006 - 03:22 PM.

#5 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

sorry i just cannot find anything on the MOT test that states driving lamps need to be connected to full beam only..

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

Well we've said it about a million times before but here goes again...

The MOT does not test that your car is road legal, only that it is basically safe. It is the drivers responsibility to ensure that their vehicle complies with all relevant regulations. In this case you need to read the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, 1989. Specifically section 25, section 27 and schedule 5, section 10. Or you could just believe me if you like.

#7 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

woah, no dont get me wrong im not saying youre wrong i just couldnt find anything that states what youre saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users