WOW! wheels look great.

#1472 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

Amazing, I thought it was illegal to fit tubes now?

#1473 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

Paintwork looks amazing!

#1474 JakeMcC

JakeMcC

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

Just wanted to say I've read your entire thread and it's incredibly inspiring! I've learnt a lot which I'll be putting towards my own projects - you're incredibly thorough and your attention to detail is commendable.

I've taken a fair amount of screenshots of your posts which I'll be printing out to use as reference when I get round to doing things. I really like the carbon distributor guard, I was given a large roll of prepreg carbon by one of my uni lecturers last year, it's going out of date so I'll be making sheets as you have.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing how the project continues.  :D

#1475 guywilko

guywilko

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

Thanks Pete. I went with the Pioneer TS-WX130EA. The head unit (DEH P77MP) controls the sub... so no remote.

I dont have a centre console and wanted to keep a clean look for my Mk1. Love the way you have integrated your sub remote.

The whole car is stunning.

All the best. Guy.

#1476 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Just run out of words with your build!

#1477 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

Please tell us what type and size wheel you have there. It is an extremely dangerous practice to put tubes into tubeless tyres unless you are using old steel rims which leak.

#1478 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

It is an extremely dangerous practice to put tubes into tubeless tyres unless you are using old steel rims which leak.

Why does having leaky steel rims make it any less dangerous?

#1479 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

It is an extremely dangerous practice to put tubes into tubeless tyres unless you are using old steel rims which leak.

Because that's when tubes were used back in the day when the mini originally came out. They used crossply tyres with tubes as rims then did not seal. With the advent radial tyres and then better quality rims the tubes were done away with.

Ask any one who has had a blowout using a tube and they will tell you how difficult it was to control the car. The new alloy rims certainly do not need tubes unless you have a large hole in the tyre that was patched.

I am sure if you google it you read  all the negatives.

One of your local sites https://www.bigtyres...less-tyres.html

Edited by Rorf, 11 May 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#1480 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

thanks for the explanation on the cam stuff, very educational. wheels and tyres look gorgeous, did you have any difficulty in finding somebody who could work with 10" rims? and whats the reason for the inner tubes?

There was no problem fitting the tyres but the tubes are questionable....

Just wanted to say I've read your entire thread and it's incredibly inspiring! I've learnt a lot which I'll be putting towards my own projects - you're incredibly thorough and your attention to detail is commendable.

I've taken a fair amount of screenshots of your posts which I'll be printing out to use as reference when I get round to doing things. I really like the carbon distributor guard, I was given a large roll of prepreg carbon by one of my uni lecturers last year, it's going out of date so I'll be making sheets as you have.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing how the project continues.  :D

Wrap the prepreg in cling film and a sealed platsitc bag. Store it in the freezer to extend the shelf life.

I have thousands of pics. If you need anything in particular drop me a pm.

Thanks Pete. I went with the Pioneer TS-WX130EA. The head unit (DEH P77MP) controls the sub... so no remote.

I dont have a centre console and wanted to keep a clean look for my Mk1. Love the way you have integrated your sub remote.

The whole car is stunning.

All the best. Guy.

Sounds good. I wouldn't want a console or anything in a Mk1 either. Nothing matters on this build though because it uses parts from a Mk 2,3 & 6

Because that's when tubes were used back in the day when the mini originally came out. They used crossply tyres with tubes as rims then did not seal. With the advent radial tyres and then better quality rims the tubes were done away with.

Ask any one who has had a blowout using a tube and they will tell you how difficult it was to control the car. The new alloy rims certainly do not need tubes unless you have a large hole in the tyre that was patched.

I am sure if you google it you read  all the negatives.

One of your local sites https://www.bigtyres...less-tyres.html

Interesting, this from the site kind of contradicts itself......

"Wire wheels, multi-piece wheels and some single piece wheels designed for tube type applications CANNOT be used as tubeless fitments and the use of a tube (regardless of whether the tyre is "tube type" or "tubeless") is ESSENTIAL FOR SAFETY. Always use tubes in such fitments"

Its no problem for me to have them taken out but I fitted them for the following reasons.
It was common practice to fit radial tyres and tubes when using original magnesium minilites because the rims were often porous.

The height of the sidewall on a 165 / 70 is big. The higher the profile, the more force applied to the bead on the rim. Tubes reduce the risk of the rim coming off the bead

I used them for 10's of thousands of miles, with radials on my first mini which was driven hard under rallying conditions and never had a problem. I had dozens of punctures but never had a problem.

Interesting stuff, if anyone else would like shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

#1481 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

The rims are Minator 5X10
The tyres are Yokohama 165/70 R10 A032R
As far as I'm aware, a 165 is the widest road legal tyre you can get for a 10" wheel

From my experience, if you go to a 6X10 rim there will be a slight amount of tramlining / bumpsteer
165's can be stretched onto a much wider rim like this on my friends Marcos. IIRC therse are 7"

W8IUrKy.jpg

Whilst they look good, I have my doubts if this setup will offer more traction during cornering due to the stretch. Remember there is a difference between handling and grip. It's a very fine balance to get a car set up right. I will only know if I have got it right when I drive my car.

Then there's wheel nuts. Again not all wheel nuts fit all Mini's. Early models had a rounded chamfers and after a lot of messing about, I bought these stainless nuts that are suitable for the Minators

HVfL8U3.jpg

YLgK5Pu.jpg

AccYvqf.jpg

It all gets very complicated due to the changes they made to Minis over the years.

I will be building the engine soon and that will have it's challenges. Distributor advance curve and fuel mixture are my main concerns.

Pete

#1482 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:39 AM

Where are the nuts from Pete?

#1483 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Where are the nuts from Pete?

Here perhaps https://www.ebay.co....353.m1438.l2649

#1484 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

Ta - just bought a set, not too dear at less that £2 each.

#1485 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

How are you going to go about mounting the dizzy shield? I'm the same not being a fan of the ones that fit to the rocker cover. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users