2 replies to this topic

#1 minimad91

minimad91

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

my inner wings are shot does that mean i need to cut the whole front off i was thinking about flip fronting as bought brace bars... also where is the cheapes place for inner wings

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I would never recommend flip fronting, as you lose a serious amount of impact protection. Ask your insurance company before doing it. If they know Minis, they are likely to refuse insurance or greatly increase the premium.

As to how to fit the inner wings, I suggest that you read throug some of the many rebuild threads carefully, to see how people have done it. The front does have to come off, but if the only major rust is in the inner wings, it should be possible, with care, to save the front. If you drill out the spot welds carefully, you can remove the outer wings and front panel in one piece. Where access is difficult, just cut through the inner wing, and once the assembly is off, the remaining bits will be more accessible. You may also have to cut the scuttle closers, and the A panels, but they likely need replacing anyway.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Is it the complete inner wing that you need?? You can buy two sections, the flitch and the front however these will not give you a complete inner wing. If you need a complete inner wing then you will be looking at a Heritage item. You can get these from a lot of different companies. Try Minispeed as you will get 12% discount for Heritage panels.

I would recommend you become a TMF+ member for your discount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users