#1 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Am i right in thinking that for the mot your reversing lights can be turned on by a manual switch instead of when u put teh car into reverse? If not, then how easy is it to change the switch on the gearlinkage? (pretty sure its a remote change box if that makes any difference) thanks!

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

if you have a switch then you need to have a light to say its on

to change the switch in the gear change bit is easy it just screws in :P

#3 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

iv already wired in a switch with tell tale light, just wanted to make sure it would pass the MOT like that! so if i jack it up and crawl under, find the other end of the wires, its jus a simple thing of unscrewing and screwing a new one in? Cheers!

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

yep but there is a gear you have to be in when you screw it in :P

but i cant remember if its 4th or reverse :'(

#5 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

LOL hmm, done want the reverrsing lights to come on when i put it into 4th gear hehe, think i might just stick with my manual switch, and tell tale light :-p cheers for your help!

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

If the switch is under the car then it's rod change, not remote. The remote change switch is screwed into the front of the gearbox and very easy to change.

The rod change switch is also very easy to change, don't get under the car. Lift up the gear gaiter and do it that way (make sure the exhaust is cold or you'll burn yourself). Take out the old one, put the locknut from it on the new one and fit it, then adjust it so it only comes on in reverse and tighten the locknut. It's very easy. You'll always forget a dash switch.

If you are rushing this for your MOT don't bother. Reverse lights aren't testable at the MOT. Just repair it properly instead of bodging it.

#7 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

As Dan said, i'm an mot tester and people are always asking wether reverse lights are a failure! Their not tested on an mot so they could be bright purple coloured or something strange if you wanted!

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

not tested on an mot so they could be bright purple coloured or something strange if you wanted!

:P

Well, now that would be illegal but not an MOT failure!

:-

#9 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Well, now that would be illegal but not an MOT failure!

Isn't it strange that you can something illegal on your car but still have it pass the MOT?

#10 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hmmmm, lifting the gaiter up sounds like an easier way of changing the switch, but am right in thinking that the gaiter is riveted onto the body shell? If so, how do i get the rivets out then back in again?!! Cheers ;D

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

No, it's held in by four screws. Who would rivet it on? That would be madness! ;D

Edited by Dan, 31 March 2006 - 11:36 PM.

#12 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

lol ill have a look today, was abit drunk last night when posting, sorry!!
prob is jus screwed in......

#13 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

OK, so the gaiter does just screw in, so i have taken that off, got the switch out, knackered switch, so iv got a new one, iv tested it, and it works, the only problem is, how in gods name tdo you get the damn switch back in?! is there any trick to this? or do i just have to continue to squeeze my huge hands into that tiny hole and try to force it in?! i cant hold it in place and turn it at the same time!! grrrrr.... also, mentioned earlier in this post, someone was saying you have to select 4th gear before you put the switch in, is this correct, or can yuou select any gear (or neutral!!) while u put the switch in?! am getting very angry, been trying for the lsat hour to get the stupid switch back in!!

Cheers!!

#14 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

borrow a local 6 year old and give him a pair of rubber gloves (so his parents dont go ballistic!)

No tricks I'm afraid, just persevere! you may find it easier by going in from under the car, but it seems like a lot of fuss to jack it up and support it properly if you dont.

The fourth gear thing is so you can adujst the switch. it shouldnt make contact with the stick in fourth (just), but then will in reverse. Some people do it different ways, but it's not essential to spend your time screwing it in in fourth!

#15 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

All sorted!! I decided to hold the switch with a pair of long nosed pliars while i got a spanner round it ;D trial and error seemed to prevail as to how far in it needed to be screwed! At least i wont have to bother with fiddly switches now!!

Cheers for all your help guys :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users