8 replies to this topic

#1 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

Well i have been thinking about and i cant for the life of me figure out what the by pass hose is for :S . please could someone help me out her i feel really silly asking, i imagen it is going to turn out to be quite simple.

#2 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

google says :

The bypass hose allows coolant to recirculate within the engine, without passing through the radiator, as it does when the engine is warmed up and the thermostat opens. The bypass hose connects the thermostat housing and the water pump. The water enters the bypass tube through the bypass valve, when such a valve is fitted. The bypass valve is sometimes operated thermostatically; it closes off the bypass hose when a certain temperature is reached. This increases the circulation of the coolant within the engine. Many cars don't need a bypass valve, because there is plenty of coolant going through the radiator hoses due to the thermostat.

#3 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

EDIT: OOps!

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

yup - pretty much what Google says!

Just allows the coolant to flow whilst the thermostat is closed - as soon as the stat's opened flow through the bypass hose pretty much stops - path of least resistance and all that! Doesn't mean that the hose isn't needed, and it needs to be in good condition as if it goes its a right bugger of a job.

Metro 1275's and the later Mini's didn't have bypass hoses, as they had a sandwich plate in the thermostat which worked in a similar way...

#5 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

A ha that explain why i dont have one. thats why it puzzled me on my water pump i just have a little cap type thingy. would it be worth me installing one?

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

Nope. In fact a lot of people get rid of it since when it fails it's one of the most annoying jobs to replace it on a mini (without taking the head of that is). Just make sure you've got a proper thermostat.

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:52 AM

Wow, Google has become soooo powerful now. Perhaps the most powerful thing in the world.

I mean what else could make Holly look intelligent?! :P :-* ;)

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

google says :

The bypass hose allows coolant to recirculate within the engine, without passing through the radiator, as it does when the engine is warmed up and the thermostat opens. The bypass hose connects the thermostat housing and the water pump. The water enters the bypass tube through the bypass valve, when such a valve is fitted. The bypass valve is sometimes operated thermostatically; it closes off the bypass hose when a certain temperature is reached. This increases the circulation of the coolant within the engine. Many cars don't need a bypass valve, because there is plenty of coolant going through the radiator hoses due to the thermostat.

is holly the new tmf mini doc with blue leaving and guessworks having a holiday ? :P

#9 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users