3 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

I imagine this is in the wrong section but was in a rush sorry......I really should know this but with wiring I seem to have a mental blank...........just changing my ignition switch from the steering column up to the dash....got a new switch with 4 pins
ACC
IGN
ST
BAT
with the key being able to go into 4 positions ...park, off, on and then finally ignition or start.......
DUH where do my wires go? sorry for being a numpty
is it
brown BAT
white IGN
white/red Start
lg/w Accessories ?:confused:

#2 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

If you have a multimeter, meter out the terminals on your new switch(ohms mode with a beeper will help). You should have one terminal that is common between the rest depending on the switch position. Your brown wire will attach there. Move the key forward to position one. You should have continuity between the common terminal(BAT -brown wire) and one other terminal. There should be no continuity to any other terminals. That is where your Light green with white tracer wire should go for your accessories. Move the key one more click to position two. You should have continuity between the common terminal, position one and now another terminal. This is where your White wire will go for IGN. Your last position should be a momentary one as this is the one you start the car with.There should be continuity with the last terminal, your white wire and common terminal (BAT- brown) wire.

There is no continuity with the lg/w wire as it is protecting your accessories as well as removing load off of the battery while starting.

Hope I explained it well enough.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

brown BAT
white IGN
white/red Start
lg/w Accessories

You are correct

#4 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

THANKS EVERYONE thats sorted out ..........Now ive just bought a VW mk2 grille with Quad lights, as in the styling forum ref extra clubmann lights, these are Hella lamps so when I wire them in do I need a seperate relay for both of them\?/ do I need a relay at all ?/ how Do i wire em in?/ do i need the switches that i use to have some sort of indication on /in them to say that the spotlights are actually on ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users