23 replies to this topic

#1 crb

crb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

am converting spi to carb can anybody tell me if you can fit a manual fuel pump to the block as have been told that the spi cam has no lobe for the pump. ta chris

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

SPI cam is as a Carb cam and a mechanical fuel pump can be fitted.

A asume that you are fitting an SPI engine to a carb car??? Why else would you be fitting a carb and mechanical pump.

#3 crb

crb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

A asume that you are fitting an SPI engine to a carb car??? Why else would you be fitting a carb and mechanical pump.

no i am changing a spi cooper to carb as had up to the back teeth with the proplems with the ecu system

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

why not just stick with the electric pump that is already on the system?

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

And fit a prssure regulator

would plug up the holes in the fuel lines and be safe and be much less hassle

no i am changing a spi cooper to carb as had up to the back teeth with the proplems with the ecu system

Have you asked any one on here for help???????????????????????????????????????????? ;D

Injection to carb does happen mainly for the wrong reasons. Do be aware that it will be more difficult to get it through an MOT emissions test, though not impossible. Also your fuel consumption will deffinately get worse. Its worth sticking with the injection system and fixing it correctly.

http://www.theminifo...showtopic=20533

#6 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

I agree, fuel injection is far superior, why else would cars have changed over to it in the first place, because it allows more accurate control over fuelling! I would say that only change if you have exhausted all other possibilities.

#7 crb

crb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

I agree, fuel injection is far superior, why else would cars have changed over to it in the first place, because it allows more accurate control over fuelling! I would say that only change if you have exhausted all other possibilities.

i just cant seem to get it to run right its overfueling the exhaust looks like a black hole, it never runs the same from day to day one min its running ok the next day its racing then just about ticks over then it sounds like its on three cylinders. and have noticed the exhaust is very loud it never use to be and its not that old, ta chris

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

Ok and have you had a diagnostic check done on the engine???

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:03 AM

I'm sorry but can't agree that putting the SPI unit on the mini was a performance improvement, it was a measure to enable the engine to comply with the new emissions laws for vehicles, so basically the engine management has to keep the car in a level of tune appropriate, which is actually way below best performance....

With the std SPI unit, it is well known that approx 90hp is your limit, even with the MPI and the JCW conversion the hp was only 90...

Carbed minis are not restricted by such devices, and hence can be tuned to much higher levers...

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:09 AM

Carbed minis are not restricted by such devices, and hence can be tuned to much higher levers...

Although you can fit a mapable injection system like Megasquirt, which would not cost you more than a webber or a set of Omega pistons.

But then THIS ISN'T ON TOPIC. ;D :(

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

But then who said that the engine was tuned past 90bhp

If you go back and read my first post, I said that carbs are fitted to an injection engine mostly for the wrong reason. What this means and I shall spell it out, is, There is obviously a need to fit carbs when you reach the upper power limit and considered a good reason to fit them. However, fitting carbs just because you cant get it running right because you havent got a clue how the system works and cant find the fault is just plain silly. Fit the carbs and then have all the problems associated with then, needle selection, rolling road tune, struggling to get an injection car through the emissions test( and before any one says that it will pass, if you read my first post i said that it is not imossible to get it to pass), increased fuel consumption, not to mention the cost of the carb, manifold and filter. It would be far more sensible to fix the orriginal problem than run away from it and introduce a whole load more. Id opt to fix it.

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

Don't disagree with a word of that...

#13 crb

crb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

But then who said that the engine was tuned past 90bhp

If you go back and read my first post, I said that carbs are fitted to an injection engine mostly for the wrong reason. What this means and I shall spell it out, is, There is obviously a need to fit carbs when you reach the upper power limit and considered a good reason to fit them. However, fitting carbs just because you cant get it running right because you havent got a clue how the system works and cant find the fault is just plain silly. Fit the carbs and then have all the problems associated with then, needle selection, rolling road tune, struggling to get an injection car through the emissions test( and before any one says that it will pass, if you read my first post i said that it is not imossible to get it to pass), increased fuel consumption, not to mention the cost of the carb, manifold and filter. It would be far more sensible to fix the orriginal problem than run away from it and introduce a whole load more. Id opt to fix it.

i ask for help not insults

#14 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

Chris, MS is not trying to insult you, he's just asking what you've done to solve your injection problems so that it may be possible for someone to suggest something that hasn't been tried, rather than going out and having you spend hundreds of pounds on parts that aren't necessary!

#15 crb

crb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

Chris, MS is not trying to insult you, he's just asking what you've done to solve your injection problems so that it may be possible for someone to suggest something that hasn't been tried, rather than going out and having you spend hundreds of pounds on parts that aren't necessary!

have changed plugs leads dizzy cap and rotor, lamda probe renewed small plastic bundy pipe new manifold gasket and today temp sender , goes like stink but wont tick over sound like have a hot cam in it but is standard, its not going to cost much to convert as have most bits ta chris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users