#1 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Would any of you really helpfull folks be able to (if you have any)post up pictures of the route taken for the brake and fuel pipes as they come up from the floor onto the toe board and upto the underside of the bulkhead crossmember. I'm going to weld on some M5 bolts to the underside of the floor to fix on p-clips. I don't want to drill holes for self tappers or my plan for larger holes for plastic captive nuts. However I couldn't settle on the prefered route on the toe board. When I got the heap the pipes were inside the car so I have nothing to go by. I have a good idea where to place them but would like a second, third etc opinions just so I don't weld on a bolt then find it's in a bad place. I'm planning to route the power cable through the inside of the body, cheers!

#2 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Or even post up a link to your build thread that has a pic that could help, cheers!

#3 YoungUn

YoungUn

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Local Club: F.A.B.M.O.C

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

I have these pics saved in my inspiration folder lol - they have brake and fuel lines...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do the pics work? Hope they help

Charlie

#4 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for that bud. The area I'm looking for is slightly hidden by the front sub but I can get a good idea from this. Is this your car? As I can see that p clips have been used. Just wondering how they were fastened to tthe floor? Cheers!

#5 YoungUn

YoungUn

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

No unfortunately its not mine - Just a pic I found on here and thought it was nice so saved it. I'm not that far ahead with mine yet but I think Im just going to pop rivet the p clips on... either that or rivnuts

Charlie

#6 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I was going to drill holes and insert plastic captive nuts for screws but they ended up being to long on the inside, I felt they would poke through the carpet! I don't want to directly screw the p clips as this will leed to rust starting. I gonna try welding on m5 bolts then hold on the clips with nuts and trim off any excess. Hopefully should be neat and be minimum risk for rust starting.

#7 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

This may help

http://mearcatmini.b...utch-lines.html

at least for the brake lines anyway. I did this job a few weeks ago, although this is not my Clubby in the link (unfortunatly!)

#8 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Cheers for that, every little bit helps!

#9 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

is this what you are after

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Graham

#10 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Ahh, Graham you are a true gent! Thats exactly what I was looking for! It's pretty much where I was planning to put them but this confirms things, cheers bud!
Regards Larry.

#11 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Anytime

#12 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have these pics saved in my inspiration folder lol - they have brake and fuel lines...

Posted Image

Wow, I'm in someone's inspiration folder! :teehee:
I'm genuinely flattered.

Skoighi. I used stainless P clips with plated M5 nuts and bolts. Most of the P clips are fitted to the sides of the channels which positioned the nuts inside the channels and below the level of the carpets.

Graham.

#13 YoungUn

YoungUn

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Wow, I'm in someone's inspiration folder! :teehee:
I'm genuinely flattered.

Skoighi. I used stainless P clips with plated M5 nuts and bolts. Most of the P clips are fitted to the sides of the channels which positioned the nuts inside the channels and below the level of the carpets.

Graham.

Its the nicest looking underside I've seen yet

Charlie

#14 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hi SolarB, after checking Grahams pics I went out and drew on a "safe" route for the brake and fuel lines and went for it! I've decided to drill 5mm holes, do all the painting on the floor then insert a M5 bolt with washer from the inside and screw on a washer and nylock nut on the outside with sealer and maybe a touch of thread lock for good measure then tighten up. Then I can put on the p-clip with another nylock nut. I think this will give best protection against rust and won't be too much of a bump on the inside. I'm thinking of running the power cable through the car instead of underneath, thinking It'll look cleaner and may protect the cable better, anyone with experence of doing this and the pros and cons?

#15 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

You seem to be intent on doing a very neat job, so don't let me discourage you from that. But is there a reason for not just using the original clips, which were spot welded to the floor, and should already be on a replacement floor? Parts 51 to 55 on the Somerford diagram, or easily cut from sheet, and there are rubber sleeves that go with them, again easily cut from suitable hose. Doing it that way does not involve drilling the floor, so no chance of leaks. I would plug weld them from below.

http://www.somerford...id=18&chapter=4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users