4 replies to this topic

#1 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:48 AM

I'm beginning the parts collection phase on a new project. Where it stands now I have a very very mint mk1 NZ car (actually 100% rust free) and a complete high performance drivetrain (1380 MED 8 port motor) and front subframe assembly from a mk3 or mk4 car. How difficult will it be to "meld" the two together, i.e. what other than possibly the top subframe mounts being different on the two marks of subbys (haven't seen teh newer subby yet to be sure which it is) and how is the best way to adapt a single bolt subframe to the mk1 shell if that ends up being the case?

Also, I'm sure I'll be needing to upgrade to a dual circuit brake system and components among other things (already sourced some cooper s drive units with brakes for the front and offset drums for the rear)...

What else will I have to do to make things "work"?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Monte

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

The MK4 is when the subframe changed, from solid to rubber mounted, and the top turrets changed...

I would suggest trying to find a mk1/2/3 front subframe to save yourself a lot of time and effort

#3 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing after I wrote this and could reuse the subby that is in the mk1 now (just wanted to keep the original drivetrain as intact as possible for originality). Other mk4 components (suspension, etc.) will bolt up to the mk1 subby OK?

Thanks,

Monte

I would suggest trying to find a mk1/2/3 front subframe to save yourself a lot of time and effort

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

Yup, all the suspension will fit your mk1 subby, assuming its a dry subframe, and not hydrolastic. If it's hydrolastic, it can be converted to dry and still will be a lot easier than trying to fit the later subby.
Plus swapping the suspension over will give you the chance to give the subby a rehaul and a new lick of paint, along with replacing all the suspension bushes etc. ;D

#5 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:46 AM

Good ideas, all. Sounds like a plan!

Thanks,

Monte

Yup, all the suspension will fit your mk1 subby, assuming its a dry subframe, and not hydrolastic. If it's hydrolastic, it can be converted to dry and still will be a lot easier than trying to fit the later subby.
Plus swapping the suspension over will give you the chance to give the subby a rehaul and a new lick of paint, along with replacing all the suspension bushes etc. ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users