10 replies to this topic

#1 compo18

compo18

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

hi, can anyone help. just bought a mini for the first time and having probs with juddering and holding back.

Have changed plugs,leads, points (spaced) and cap but did not help then changed petrol pump along with having the timing done but still no good?

I have what looks like a HIF 44/38 on a mini spares manifold with water heater inlets (uncovered). Any clues??

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

hi, can anyone help. just bought a mini for the first time and having probs with juddering and holding back.

Have changed plugs,leads, points (spaced) and cap but did not help then changed petrol pump along with having the timing done but still no good?

I have what looks like a HIF 44/38 on a mini spares manifold with water heater inlets (uncovered). Any clues??

I guess it could be low on dashpot oil in the carb? You want to check it anyway as you've only just bought it.

#3 compo18

compo18

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

I guess it could be low on dashpot oil in the carb? You want to check it anyway as you've only just bought it.

thanks i have done that? gonna get someone to look at the carb when get paid next!!!!! Just wondered if there was anything obvious i've missed

#4 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:16 PM

well, it certainly seems like your ignition system has had a damn good overhaul, so I would think you need to be looking into the fueling/carb next.

Could be an air leak? Split vacuum hose or similar? Could just be that the carb needs setting up. ;D

#5 compo18

compo18

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

well, it certainly seems like your ignition system has had a damn good overhaul, so I would think you need to be looking into the fueling/carb next.

Could be an air leak? Split vacuum hose or similar? Could just be that the carb needs setting up. ;D

Thanks for your help. that at least confirms what i thought. Now as you may have gathered im no expert, so could the prob be the inlets on the manifold, should they be blocked ????

#6 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

I am guessing from your description that you mean the two pipes (probably brass) sticking out of either side of the inlet manifold. These are OK to be left open as they just allow heated water to flow through them when connected.

It is debatable whether or not you get any performance gain when using a the water-heated feature of the inlet manifold, but they are a better quality manifold than the standard cast ones (better flowing basically I think).

So, make sure it's bolted on properly too and that the bolts are tight (seeing as it's an aftermarket one it may have been fitted incorrectly I s'pose).

#7 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

have you tried a different coil? It may be the coil breaking down under load?

#8 compo18

compo18

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

have you tried a different coil? It may be the coil breaking down under load?

No havn't thought of the coil. just took the mini out and she's runnuing better but not perfect today which could suggest i change the petrol filter first i suppose (dose it have one??). Any way thanks for some good advice glad i found the site!

Attached Files

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

Try a different coil as there is no way of telling whether yours is fine or not just by looking at it.
After that I'd personally replace the gaskets on the inlet manifold (won't be more than a couple of quid).
Check your oil and water for mayo (which would indicate a blown head gasket, which would give quite poor power, as if you're running on half the cylinders [which often is the case]).
If all of that is fine, it seems like your car simply needs a rolling road tune-up session, since from what you're saying I'll gather that the previous owner fitted a stage 1 kit (and if it's indeed a METRO alloy manifold, chances are the 'stage 1' kit was simply a carb and manifolds from a metro + an exhaust system, in which case it DEFINITELY needs a tune up).
A rolling road session may seem pricey at first but it will give you the most power gain for your money, will improve your economy, and chances are will cost less than you trying to replace everything that may actually be in good order. It's the best tune up you can treat your car to.

Also this is a bit off this specific question, but if you just got the car,make sure to check all fluids (water, brake, clutch), give it an oil and oil filter change and adjust the rear brakes.

#10 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

ok, this might sound a bit obvious, but was it raining when you drove it home?

And if it was, do you have a splash guard/ignition shield between the grille and the plugs/dizzy/coil?

#11 compo18

compo18

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

ok, this might sound a bit obvious, but was it raining when you drove it home?

And if it was, do you have a splash guard/ignition shield between the grille and the plugs/dizzy/coil?

No Mayo or splash gaurd but confident the probs not the wet. Again great advice (feel like i should be paying you lot). convinced the prob is with the carb so gonna change all the gaskets and then find out about the rolling road test.

yes it has a stage one kit and can anyone recomend a garage in essex for the test??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users