frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Alrite guys and gals,

http://www.theminifo...e=post&id=14363

Bit bored...and just seen this pic posted by someone and i'm just wondering about the brake set-up?? No servo I guess? So how come the braided hoses?? I was under the impression solid pipes were preferable?

Is that a tilton set-up? What are the advantages of that set-up??

Cheers

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

nope. no servo.

Solid pipes are in theory always best as there is "zero" expansion of the pipe giving a firmer pedal feel. However, a good quality hose won't expand "that much", and it adds to the convenience factor (if you ever need to remove the pedals to get at something, Clutch for instance, then a flexi pipe allows you just to unbolt the pedals, and swing them out the way rather than disconnecting the brake system and having to bleed it all again as you'd have to with a solid pipe setup.)

Not sure if it's a tilton setup, but it should give you extra adjustability of the front/rear split. It can be achieved in other ways, but that way certainly is flash!

#3 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

And with the flexible pipes, it's best to have them fixed to the car in as many places isn't it? To avoid them "snaking"(not sure how to explain it), but just to stop them wriggling.

I'd never thought about moving them about thats a good point. It just looks very sexy!lol

It's not just a mini set-up with different cylinders is it?

#4 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:23 PM

if you look closely you'll see that the main pipes are still copper it's just the servo pipes that are braided! shouldn't cause too much trouble as it's ojnly over a small distance! I have the braided hose for my clutch on my car as it goes direct from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder! I found that my last pipe unions kept leaking as they were prone to getting knocked!

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

And with the flexible pipes, it's best to have them fixed to the car in as many places isn't it? To avoid them "snaking"(not sure how to explain it), but just to stop them wriggling.

Yep. but not too much or you end up defeating the point of them! It also depends. hoses bewteen the calipers and subby for instance need to have that flexibility to allow for the articulation.

It just looks very sexy!lol

It does inded look good. I can't see the cable that allows him to change the split though. Either he must have a valve in the rear pipe inside the car (which sort of defeats the point in my mind), or it doesn't have one!

It's not just a mini set-up with different cylinders is it?

Difficult to see. It doesn't look as though it's mounted into the front face of the x-member as i'd expect for a full pedal setup, so I reckon it's "just" an adapter made up to mount the two cylinders using the std pedal.

Where did you find it, and there may be more pics to give us a clue!?

#6 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

It hasn't got a servo though?? I've seen the braided servo hoses and then the solid pipes, but this one seems to have flexi pipes all the way through(well atleast in the engine bay).

I can now see what pikey meant about the dual split, because it has 2 cylinders, so I'm guessing the front and rear have differen't bore pipe? Is that correct?

I agree with the braided clutch pipe, I think mine is on it's way out and i'm planning to replace it with the braided one that removes the metal pipe.(just building up a list to order from minispares!lol)

EDIT: Only just noticed Pikey's reply...The pic was on this forum from someone asking about twin carb pipes, i just noticed the brake set-up. The fact it isn't on the crossmember is what I noticed aswell.

#7 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

I can now see what pikey meant about the dual split, because it has 2 cylinders, so I'm guessing the front and rear have differen't bore pipe? Is that correct?

nope! the usual way of doing it is to have the lever length in the bar linking the two cylinders adjustable, so that you change the amount that the master cylinder moves. That's normally why theres a cable going to the bar which winds in/out that bar. As I say though, i'm assuming theres a valve in the car (which would effectively "close" the rear pipe a bit and limit the pressure)

#8 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:39 PM

Ah right.

So looking at the pic...I think I can see more thread(the dark section) on one bar than the other. Would this be the adjustable part? Keeping the lever from the pedal the same length, but adjusting the cylinder "rod" length? Or am I making that up!lol

Cheers for replying by the way, just good to talk about a few things I don't understand!!

#9 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

thats it yes. something still looks a bit strange on it though, but I can't get my head round what!

#10 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

Okey doke. Atleast I know a bit more about it now! cheers

#11 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

Attached File  untitled.bmp   118.18K   10 downloads
This one has flexi pipe only for a very short section bit. As for the system it does look like some adaptor for the regular bulkhead mounting, but whether it uses the standard pedal or not is hard to say.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

It's not all that exotic, it's a KAD part. Bias adjustable pedal box. Yes it replaces the servo completely and yes it changes the bias by shifting the cylinder pushrod connections closer to or further from the pedal clevis. A very common way of doing it.

It doesn't have a remote operation cable as presumably it's a road car, it's illegal to be able to adjust the brake bias from the drivers seat while driving in a road car. So it's adjusted using a spanner in the engine bay. Think about it, how often do you really need to be able to adjust your brake bias once it's setup properly?

I have braided lines from the FAM7821 to the servo M/C in my car. I have really high quality lines (HEL) , and they don't snake or flex at all when the pressure is applied. In fact the original rigid steel lines flexed more under load than these do and they aren't clipped back much at all.

Edited by Dan, 03 April 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#13 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

.....it's illegal to be able to adjust the brake bias from the drivers seat while driving in a road car......

That is very good to know! I was considering adding an in-line into mine! Mind if I ask where/how you found out?

#14 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

Isn't it in MOT handbook?

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Everyone that makes one puts a note on their ads, the traditional 'not for road use'. Mini Mag went over it once long, long ago.

You could fit the brackets for one to the dash so that they are hidden when the control isn't fitted and then simply fit it when on the track and take it off to go home. They aren't hard to attach, takes a couple of minutes to thread the cable through the bulkhead if all the holes are already cut. Or I suppose the control being in the glovebox might be enough to make it out of reach, I think that's where lots of them end up. But still, how often do you need it?

This is why with current supercars or high end production cars with everything adjustable through the electronics certain options can only be accessed with the engine off.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users