80 replies to this topic

#76 Steve-O 2014

Steve-O 2014

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

How much testing do the chinese replica / copy companies do that lots of people run around on? 

Even testing of genuine wheels doesn't go well, look at all the factory fitted BMW wheels that cracked

#77 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

As I've said about these wheels previously, they don't have a J type tyre bead. I seem to remember it's a D or a B or something similar which is designed for trolleys and hand trucks and forklift trailers and so on. This is an important consideration when talking about side loading as Cooperman has mentioned. When these wheels are fitted with road tyres the tyre to wheel contact is not as designed. There is no knowing how easy it would be to roll the tyre off the rim.

#78 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

Why would the manufacturers of golf buggy wheels over-engineer then to the level where they would take the much higher dynamic loading of the sort a Mini on modern rubber can generate?

The manufacturers are in business to make a profit. Over-engineering either makes the product too expensive or loss-making. Products are now designed, using mainly computer techniques, to meet the function for which they are required. That is they are designed for slow and lightly loaded golf buggies running mainly on grass or smooth tarmac with very minimal bending loads on them.

Proper Mini wheels are available in many sorts of designs, patterns and sizes, so why not buy a suitable set from a proper Mini wheel supplier.

Is it because the golf buggy ones are cheaper? If that is the case just ask yourself why.

If you do fit golf buggy wheels, then drive very, very slowly and corner at a much lower speed than even a golf buggy does.

Edited by Cooperman, 30 November 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#79 mtymous

mtymous

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:20 AM

Cheers,
Jeff Pang

So... any follow up to this? I'm pretty curious how satisfied you are with them years later. Did you have any issues fitting them? Did you need to cut your fenders?

#80 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

So... any follow up to this? I'm pretty curious how satisfied you are with them years later. Did you have any issues fitting them? Did you need to cut your fenders?

I mounted the tires (165 Falkens) myself and I have to say they were a breeze. Even seating the bead, didn’t have to use no fire tricks. Just wiggled the tire around and *POP*. Id like to say that the stretch is so minor that the tire still budges outwards. Comparing it with fellow car enthusiasts who do the whole stance stretch deal, it isn’t even noticeable as a “stretch”. Got them balanced too.

First thing I did was go to a race track (quarter mile) and I did a slow test run with these. They held up very nicely, inspected for cracks and vibration. After a few slow runs, I pinned it and let loose. After a day of abuse, they were still intact. Just a side note, Falkens and 180 HP don’t mix!  :P 

Next test I did was on a road that I never go on near my place. The road is so bad, full of dips, pot holes and dents. I purposely avoided this road when I went anywhere. But in the name of science I drove along it a few times. My back shattered. But the rims did not. Even after some course words and a few bangs on the subframe the rims stayed together. I took them off and inspected each one carefully. And no signs of cracks.

Also, you will have to cut your front arches, 7" wide requires this. There is also another member on here called "meetthespeakers" who has a Clubby estate on air suspension. He fitted Advan A032's to them so could ask how he found them?

#81 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

Woul they fit 8.4 disks? ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users