#1 Austinminimark

Austinminimark

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Local Club: redditch

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

hi guys been researching to do a motorbike engine build into the back of a mini. have figured out how to make frame etc to make it all mini running gear but had a sudden thought weather a brake servo can be used with a motorbike engine or not? or weather a remote one or another company make one to work without an engine pressure/vaccum?? dont know much about motorbikes :(

this is not a zcars conversion.

#2 kjwithers

kjwithers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

I would suggest a peek in the z-cars forum, however i just found this which might help

http://www.theminifo...71#entry2669671

Kyle

#3 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Is there any particular reason for running a servo? For years minis managed without, as did considerably bigger cars. Personally I prefer the feel without the servo, but that could be just me!

#4 kjwithers

kjwithers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ive only driven minis with servo, although standard brakes they were scary enough with 1275 engine, would hate to think what they were like without servo. Probably just my setup tho!!

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ive only driven minis with servo, although standard brakes they were scary enough with 1275 engine, would hate to think what they were like without servo. Probably just my setup tho!!

A servo does not improve braking efficiency at all, it reduces the pressure needed on the pedal for the same effect. If you are concerned about brake efficiency then money is better spent on good pads, Mintex 1144, new discs and braided hoses. Compared to modern cars, mini brakes can seem scary but with the right bits they are ok. I have heard a few on hear say Servos were fitted to minis as part of the change in direction for the marketing - they were aiming at the female buying a second car market. It would not surprise me.

#6 Austinminimark

Austinminimark

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Local Club: redditch

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

females second car haha brilliant.
no i have had a mini without a servo before and now i got a turbo with a servo and i love that feel i didnt want to lose it just wasnt sure about the engine. i was going to do the same and run a line off the throttle bodies but wasnt sure if you could.

thanks guys much appreciated :)

#7 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

I have a servo in mine. Used a few T pieces to tap into the relevant feeds on the throttle bodies.
No idea if it actually works though as my engine isn't running yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users