Photo

17Yo Is A Mini A Good Idea For A First Car?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I start with a mini at 17 it's brilliant not 100% reliable but you get a good knowledge of cars insurance £1400 on my own policy price of the car £1030 not to bad also my mate bought a 05 polo for £2000 then £1700 insurance and so far he needs head gasket and valve and new steering costing over £1000 on top minis for the win :D

#32 OfMini&Men

OfMini&Men

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Peronsal i wouldn't have it as a first car at 17. They are awful! you'll always be working on it and spending alot of money

get a car but something different like a skoda cause insurence is cheaper and buy a mini and restore it alot eaiser

#33 anthonysjb

anthonysjb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm 18, drive a Cooper as my first car, got it a month ago. So far so good, it's brilliant to drive and is seriously cool, had a few mechanical jobs to do but it runs great so far. Just beware of speed bumps and be far too careful when pulling out of junctions, and there's no ABS so have to be very careful when its wet!

#34 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hi..Youngman and welcome to TMF and enjoy.................... :proud:

#35 PurpleXrA1NX

PurpleXrA1NX

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Local Club: MMC (MEDWAYMINICLUB)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

my insurance is 1200 and im 17 with a 998 mayfair. so insurance is not a problem in my opinion

its definitely NOT the MOST SENSIBLE .car you can buy at that age..but if you have the extra money, time, effort to maintain it. its worth it.

#36 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

My first car was a mini at 17 (im 23 now).
I learnt to drive in it and took my test in it much to the shock of the examiner.
I then drove it EVERYWHERE and very often on motorways etc.

However I think it very much depends on what sort of person you are and the mini that you buy.

My mini ran the best it possibly could and i maintained this so I could comfortably travel at least 70 on the motorway. I once drove a mini I had just bought back home and I literally thought i would die. It had terrible drum brakes and no lorries etc could see me...... terrifying!
Since then ive stuck with my mini as i know its perfect (apart from rust.... but lets not mention that.... ever! Lol)

If you want a car to learn about everything yourself, keep maintained and occassionally deal with problems a mini is a fantastic first car.
My bf didnt have a clue about cars or looking after them until I got him into minis. His first car was a brand new peugeot and he drove it from A to B without ever really realising he needed to do anything to make a car run!

I think the only problem for you will be the long motorway journeys and unless you have someone who can help and show you how to maintain it etc, I would also go with no, not as a first car.
If a mini is looked after, it can be the most reliable car going (in 4 years my mini only let me down once - more than can be said for my family's cars) but dont just expect it to run the same as a modern car!

Edited by littlemissmagic, 02 March 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#37 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, Mini's are one of the unsafest cars, and you dont want to be doing long distances, the insurance isn't rediculous but you have to decide. Also if you work all week away from home and come back at weekends, you don't want to be carrying loads of 'stuff' up and down the motorway as there isn't that much space and weight affects Mini's quite a lot as there isn't much power :(

#38 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Like many here I also had a Mini as a first car. And like many, I also wouldn't recommend one as a first car, they are noisy, unreliable and expensive to buy. They are also dangerous in a crash, something insurance companies recognise in their premiums

#39 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I start with a mini at 17 it's brilliant not 100% reliable but you get a good knowledge of cars insurance £1400 on my own policy price of the car £1030 not to bad also my mate bought a 05 polo for £2000 then £1700 insurance and so far he needs head gasket and valve and new steering costing over £1000 on top minis for the win :D

Needs valve and new steering? Explain?

#40 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Needs valve and new steering? Explain?

Not to sure he came in one day saying his head gasket had gone and he needed the valves replacing then about 2 weeks ago his steering failed new column and rack I think luckily he wasn't driving at the time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users