21 replies to this topic

#1 mini-mad-dan

mini-mad-dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

according to a university freind of mine (vehicle adavanced engineering thingy) he says that 4-pots on a mini are too much, and i will just lock the wheels up all the time with standard brake contoller thingys( not a brake expart i am) ;D

is this true? :P

#2 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:28 AM

is this true?

In a word no!

I had four pots on my last one and they were fine - definately didn't just lock the wheels up. If anything they were more progresive than the standard ones.

#3 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:29 AM

No! I have them fitted with no servo and a yellow band type of split master cylinder and it has not locked up on me! (apart from the emergency brake I had to do once!!)

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

Nope, many many people have 4 pots. 4 pots designed for a mini or metro are fine because they are designed for a small car thats comparatively light.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

according to a university freind of mine (vehicle adavanced engineering thingy) he says that 4-pots on a mini are too much, and i will just lock the wheels up all the time with standard brake contoller thingys( not a brake expart i am) ;D

Male Chicken

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

this 'vehicle advanced engineering' course may need to review its sublect matter! :P

4-pots are used all the time to a good degree of success. If you were fitting massive 4-pots off something like (for example) a Jaguar or something (which wouldn't even fit under the wheels, but anyway) then to a certain extent he is correct. You basically have to ensure that your master cylinder will push enough fluid to activate the 4 brake pistons correctly (laymans terms).

An example of this is some people putting 306 GTi-6 calipers onto Pug 205's, they have to change the master cylinder too.

In reality, the Metro is a similar car to the mini, so the conversion works well. The braking force is all about the equation F= PxA force (or Force = Pressure x Area) in my opinion. So if you are putting the same amount of pressure over more area (which having the 4 pots does, I think) you will have more force on the back of the brake pad, pushing it harder onto the disk. There are other advantages too, one of them being that you can use vented discs with the 4 pots, which will allow the discs to cool better under harder braking.

Disclaimer: All of that may be rubbish lol ;D

#7 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

ask him to explain to you why. (by the way, he's wrong)

#8 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

You have the most advanced brake control thing - your right leg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

Male Chicken

Rooster?

#10 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

If you work out the surface area of the metro 4-pots compared to the standard mini 2-pots you will find that it is pretty much the same.

So from that respect they will fit fine and the pedal pressure to pad pressure ratio will remain the same.

I have done this conversion myself in the past, thinking it was a good idea, but it's a waste of time to be honest.

You will not see better braking performance (I cabn gaurentee it), all you end up with is a heavier calliper and extended pad life owing to their larger size.

Wil

#11 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

agree with wil, plus they're a pain in the arse to bleed through due to 3 bleed nipples on each calliper. i'm taking the ones off my moms car soon because 4 of the 6 nipples have snapped off and changing them to normal 2 pots.

#12 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

male chicken = c0ck??? as in cockerel??

#13 mini-mad-dan

mini-mad-dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

i knew it! ha ha ha ha (gonna make him read this) i was right £10 to me!

#14 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

If you work out the surface area of the metro 4-pots compared to the standard mini 2-pots you will find that it is pretty much the same.

That's the thing I wasn't sure about to be honest. I didn;t have one to hand to measure. Sooo, I guess the real advantage to fitting the 4-pot setup is the fact that you can use vented 'rotors'.

I do have a set of 4-pots somewhere in the garage (admittedly they are rather past it and need a good sorting out) but I am considering either leaving the standard 2-pot mini calipers on, or fitting uprated 4-pots (minispares ones etc).

#15 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

i had a metro turbo once (yes we all make mistakes)lol but the brakes on that were tremendous. so i would disagree too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users