the points.
the ht leads.
the battery cable
the starter motor
the condensor.
the rotor arm
my earths
and my battery clamps.

i have also fitted a battery cut off shwitch and had it rolling roaded and it still wont start!

the battery will be discharged in the morning or will take ageds to start.

Plaeas help.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

Did you change them all in one go? Or did you try and start it after changing each one? If you did the earlier it won't help you much in pinpointing the problem.

How was it rolling roaded if it wouldn't start?

If the battery is becoming discharged very quickly then my guess would be its shorting somewhere.

#3 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

I tryed after each one and it will start ocationally and sometimes with a jump start. I cant find a short any were.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

cheack the battire over and give it a charge if it need it.....or you got a mini like mine that won't start for no reasion somthinge then suddenly it dose. athought that hasn't happen for a while

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

So the battery is dis-charging very quickly?? Will it seem to discharge over night a bit? I'm just thinking that trying to start a car over and over will drain a battery and it maybe this that is making it seem like the battery is dying.

Have you checked your timing and, again, you say it was rolling roaded, I'm guessing they were able to get the car started to do this?

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

what about trying to bump it?

also are you actually getting a spark?

#7 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:36 PM

i think that it might be that i have the wrong battery because. in the morning it will try and start for ages and then it will just discharge the battery. but then during the day after it has been run then it will start first time usally.

#8 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

deffo not a fueling issue?? sounds like it to me

#9 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

take a plug out, and hold the outside/threaded part of it against the engine block (wear a pair of rubber gloves, or hold the ceramic body with a pair of insulated pliers), and get someone to crank it. Are you seeing a good strong spark?

If not, then you have ignition issues. If so then you have fuelling or timing issues.

Whe you changed all this stuff, did you put the leads on the right points (dizzy and plug)? did you take off the dizzy to do anything?

#10 DANTOO

DANTOO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:34 PM

Last year, my previous mini wouldnt start and wouldnt run very well...

took it to a garage.... he spent 6 hours on it... nothing... changed loads ... nothing...

and a few weeks ago my mini I have now wouldnt start.

Turned out to be.......................

No oil in the dashpot lol....as soon as I had checked that and refilled it, it started fine. I was annoyed that I didnt think of it before lol, yet its such a simple thing.

after that huge service the guy did,.... he still didnt put oil in the dashpot and he was a trained mechanic.

May I ask have you checked that? lol

#11 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

i have topped up the oil and i have checked for a spark and they are fine. now what i has started happening is that if the choke is all the way in than when i turn into a space or am slowing for a junction than it will cut out and when i am driving normally it will splutter unless the choke is out and the car idles at about 1200 rpm. this is really starting to *yellow human water* me off now as i have had my mini for over a year and it has never started properly. >:w00t:

#12 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like you might have a air leak around carb or the manifold It will stuggle to get the fuel . When you pull out the choke it is only a temporary fix. Have you done any work in this area only an idea.

#13 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

my mini cut out a few times whilst driving last night, i might ask SMMC to set it up again and ajust the idle speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users