#1 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Second attempt at applying some number circles tonight, ended in me ripping them of scrunching them into ball and launching them across the garage, pretty much what happened the first attempt!

I was trying to apply it to the bonnet/wing half and half. I could not stop it from wrinkling or lie well at all!

The garage was pretty cold ( maybe 5 degrees), the vinyl is cheap and or I am a totally incapable of sticking on a sticker :)

Is the temp the issue or the cheap vinyl or both?

#2 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Next time, sit with a hair dryer, will make the vinyl more flexible.

#3 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Apply plenty of WATER to the door, slide the roundles over the water to the position you like, now with a card, remove the tiny bubbles moving them out the sticker. Dry out with an hairdrier. Job done.

Edited by jaydee, 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#4 herdy

herdy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about minis

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab60f810d

I bought one of these to tint my windows, used with a hair dryer it works brilliantly.

#5 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Apply plenty of WATER to the door, slide the roundles over the water to the position you like, now with a card, remove the tiny bubbles moving them out the sticker. Dry out with an hairdrier. Job done.

Interesting ... Doesn't the water affect the adhesive?

#6 1275gtowner

1275gtowner

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

good advice from jaydee imo ive always used water to apply decals the more the better really as it gives you plenty of time to get stripes/circles etc into the position you want then brush any bubbles if you get any remaining away and leave to dry

Edited by 1275gtowner, 21 January 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#7 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Not at all, thats the proper way to stick them on, some are even using soapy water, but i prefer using plain water.
Some professional decals (which are usually a very thin vinyl) come with a transfer cover which helps when you're moving the decal around to avoid damage to the vinyl, but thats not the case! :P

#8 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Not at all, thats the proper way to stick them on, some are even using soapy water, but i prefer using plain water.
Some professional decals (which are usually a very thin vinyl) come with a transfer cover which helps when you're moving the decal around to avoid damage to the vinyl, but thats not the case! :P

Yeah i did some googling this morning and you are completely correct. Not that i didnt trust your opinion :tumble:

I will give it a third attempt when the new vinyl arrives.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users