7 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

Is there a tool that can remove screws with damaged heads?

As I want to re use the hinges from my old doors to put on my new 2nd hand ones ones, but can’t undo all the screws holding them on (been there for the past 22 years) and don’t really want to damage them in the process as i will be re using them, Hopefully :w00t: .

I did try drilling the hinges off that were on my new 2nd doors but did end up damaging the hinges in the process :dontgetit: and don't realy want to do the same to the hinges on my old doors.

Thanks,
karl

Edited by Bluemini, 08 April 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#2 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

My screws on the hinges are mangled too. I want to know too :w00t:

#3 MaryQuant88

MaryQuant88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

Impact Wrench its called, Its brilliant for this kind of thing, bought mine from Halfrauds, but £15 wasnt bad :w00t:

edit: I mean Impact Driver, I used it on the door locking mechanism screws

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

These screw are really mashed up, and without getting the hinges off I can’t fit them to the new doors to offer up to the car and get the fit right before I spray them.

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

Its called patience.

I drilled two of mine out the other day. 3mm pilot drill to a depth of about 10mm, then 1mm bigger each time. It took 4 goes each screw (came off at 6mm) and i did go through 4 drill bits per screw! (but they were cheap drill bits). Don't just blast the drill though. take your time and ensure things are central and that you're not going through the things you want to save! Once the 6mm one has got a certain way down, it breaks through the screw just pelow the head, and off it comes! If you go bigger than 6mm, or drill off centre, you will damage the hinge.

Once all the screws are off, the hinge comes off. You are then left with the remains on the door. Pilot drill 3mm all the way through, and soak the screw overnight in plusgas. the can then use a screw extractor in the 3mm hole gradually and slowly to ease out the screw, occasionally spraying with plusgas to keep as much lube there as possible. Eventually, you'll get the screw out with a hopefully (depending on how heavy fisted you were getting the hing off) undamaged nut.

I've also seen "screw extractor" sets in places like homebase. Personally, I thin they look cheap and nast, and probably couldn't bore a hole in some soft cheese, but if you're willing to take the risk......

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

Only need the hinges as the door they are attahed to is only really fit for the tip

I have seen "screw extractors" but dissmised them thinking they might not be as gooda made out to be

looks like i will be drilling them off, carefully and hope I have enough non mullered screws that i can re use.

Thanks,
karl

#7 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

There are two types of extractor that i have used,
one, you drill in to screw then tap in the extractor, it works on the principle of an opposite thread. But it does only work on larger screws.
The other type simply cuts a groove in the head of the screw in an anticlock wise formation, so it basicly digs in and unscrews it for you.

Failing that theres always the old faithfull way of welding a tbar or nackered scredriver on the the screw.

either way i have found all wasy to be successful.

Hope this helps. :w00t: :dontgetit:

#8 sevretta

sevretta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

As above...weld another bolt onto it and it'll pop right out....done it on the steering column shear bolts and it worked a treat.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users