7 replies to this topic

#1 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Occasionally when starting off in 1st gear I get a juddering knocking sound around the back diff area. I am not sure if it is the UJ, splines, limited slip diff or the gear box I have notice a slight judder. When starting in second gear theres no noise.
Can anyone throw some light on this issue.

#2 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

the plate LSD can give a few groaning noises at low speeds but these are usually nothing to be concerned about if you could post a short video we may be able to tell

#3 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I had a closer look and where the driver side shaft coming out of the LSD their is about 25mm of exposed shaft covered in grease looks like a retaining clip may have popped off thus causing the clonking at low speed.
Just a guess

#4 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

whilst looking in the boot, you should see the driveshafts sitting as level as possible (keeping the back end low as possible) when the rear arms were put back on, did you check the drive shaft for sideward movement. you might meed to move the rear trailing arms inward (narrow the rear track width) to stop the shafts from popping out.
if there was a shaft out of the diff,you would know about it. it is very scary when it pops out under acceleration. if the shaft is out you would have one wheel drive and it will either steer itself to the right or the left.

best thing to do is take the inner gaiter off and see how much the 3 bearings are into the drive cup. (making sure that the cv joint is firmly in the diff)

Ed

Edited by edsmini, 28 January 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#5 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Thank you Ed I have to say your general knowledge on the Mini is in line with the Eggheads

#6 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

if the car was in front of me i would be able to help further, its hard to suggest what else to do without having a good look at it.

cheers,

Ed

#7 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

was the engine put back in using the correct spacer washers? you must make sure that the gearbox sprocket and the diff sprocket are running in line with each other.

is the chain correctly tensioned ?

just throwing ideas out there joss

another thing is with the plate diffs if you are stationary, turn sharp left (or right) and move the car forward, the diff will clunk which is normal for that type of diff.

Ed

#8 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think its more prominent the clonking when turning at low speed as far as the spacer washers are concerned I replaced the new engine with all the existing parts that were not damaged in the fire and replaced all damaged bushes etc Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users