Photo

1989 Austin Mini Sky Rose - Identification And Valuation Needed!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LenSessions

LenSessions

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

How can an automotive imbecile like me tell if I have a Sky or a Rose if one of the previous 5 owners painted the roof to match the body..? I only want to know what I’ve got so I can sell it!
I’ve attached a picture in case it provides some clues.

As far as the valuation goes, the glass is broken on one headlamp where a wheelie bin fell on it, and the original petrol cap is missing.
It has a few rust spots but it’s generally good looking. Also needs a good clean!
5 previous owners, 66716 on the clock. It had just received a new battery the last time it was used but it’s been SORN for a few years now.
Seems to have the original leather keyfob with Austin emblem, if that’s important.
BIG THANKS in advance. It’ll be up on ebid as soon as someone gives me a clue what kind of starting price I should go for. (Unless you don’t think ebid’s worth it, in which case I’ll just upgrade my subscription & advertise it here).
THANKS AGAIN!

Attached Files

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Apart from the roof colour and the decals, I believe them to be identical, and even on the registration document it's known as a Sky/Rose, they don't differentiate.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

its quite rusty, i would think its worth £500-£1000 i may be wrong, someone more knowledgeable can put a better figure on it.

cheers

#4 lewBlew

lewBlew

Previously known as theboybradley.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

If the underside is as bad as the front end/scuttle, then you'd be lucky to get £500 for it :( sorry...

Still, you might be able to find out whether it be a Rose or a Sky by looking at the VIN plate under the bonnet. Usually these have colour scheme numbers on, which includes the original colour of the roof. If you put it up here we might be able to work out whether it's white and blue or white and pink.

#5 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I had a sky and as already said there is no difference apart from the roof colour and decals between the sky and rose.

Can you contact me before you put it up for sale. Might be interested

#6 LenSessions

LenSessions

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I've been getting quite an education looking around this forum. I'll say thanks again for the very swift responses. I certainly wasn't expecting a fortune for my little guy, but felt quite hopeful after seeing one sell recently on ebay for £500 that seemed a lot worse than mine. I'm sure the years of inactivity haven't done mine any good, though.
Couldn't get a photo worth posting but the VIN plate says that it's TYPE 03101T, PAINT RWS, and TRIM LCG. Does that paint code translate as something meaningful to anyone?

#7 Timty

Timty

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

It may be a rose then as colour code for a sky blue is JQN. Just checked pink is DME? so thats not much help (sorry).

Edited by Timty, 29 January 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#8 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Could be wrong but I thought the rose pink was DME

#9 lewBlew

lewBlew

Previously known as theboybradley.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

RWS = NMN/DME 1989-1990

NMN White diamond
DME Rose pink

What you have there sir, is a Mini Rose.

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

is there any clue as to what it is on the log book ?

#11 LenSessions

LenSessions

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I was away for a few days there so I missed the vital conclusion to the detective work, but belated thanks to all who helped identify what is apparently a Mini Rose. Now I can get on with selling it!

#12 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Don't bother with eBid, there aren't actually any buyers there. I sold about 1000 things on eBay to one on eBid

#13 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

As for value, realistically you are looking at £400 - £600 at the moment, depending on the rot (which can't be really be seen from one photo, but what can be seen does look fairly extensive)

#14 LenSessions

LenSessions

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'll say thanks again to everyone who helped identify my poor neglected mini. It's now up on ebay (with fingers crossed) and I've put the link in the appropriate forum section here. Now all I have to prepare myself for are buyers with questions I'm too ignorant to answer.

#15 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

If you can, get loads more pictures and add them to the listing. You can never have too many pictures, particularly of the boot floor, sills, floors and some close-ups of around the windscreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users