15 replies to this topic

#1 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

just done a quick photoshop of a carbon boot and i cannot decide whether to go for it or not.
what do people think.
or should i get a smoothie?

#2 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:23 AM

If I went for a carbon fibre boot I would paint it the same colour as the rest of the car, especially if it had a white roof it wouldn't look as weird if the roof was black or CF aswell though. But yeah go with a smoothie as you've got the twin pipes and I've always liked when the number plates are between 2 exhausts on minis for some reason but keep the hinges and lock instead of going completely smooth.

#3 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

just done a quick photoshop of a carbon boot and i cannot decide whether to go for it or not.
what do people think.
or should i get a smoothie?

That does look rather mean! I guess it depends if you're looking to go carbon with other things to match it? Like a bonnet, wing mirrors and arches?

Actually i think i second SliverDragon!

#4 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

my dad had a carbon boot on his impretza and people who didnt know much about cars and styling kept asking him if someone had hit him up the rear and if it was a replacement for respraying. This got on his nerves.

#5 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

i think unpainted carbon looks ok on a black car but a bit weird on other colours.

unpainted arches look ok on any colour car.

#6 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

in my mind, all the body with the possible exception of the arches and roof should be body coloured. If it isn't it just makes it look unfinished.

If you were to go with a carbon boot, just paint the outside so that it matches, and leave the inside with the weave.

As for the smoothie, i'm also not a huge fan. I hate the huge number plate light, but I think the numberplate under the bumper makes the back end look like a bit fat a$$ with an appendage that shouldn't be there hanging down. But I suppose too, it also depends on how it's done.

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

looks ok on a black mini but any thing else looks unfinished :-

#8 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

yeah, my opinion is that if you leave the weave showing it just looks like you're showing off 'i've got a carbon boot lid na na na na naa' kind of thing. But if you painted it no-one would know, but the people in the know would realise when you open your boot/bonnet etc....

Subtlety is the key to success I reckon....

#9 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

i have a carbon fibre bonnet that is not painted and i want a carbon boot but i would paint the boot because that would loom unfinished bu the bonnet looks cool. :-

the only thing with a carbon fibre boot is that if you get hit from behind then inasted of just needing a new boot you might need a whloe new rear end! :'( my friend was hit from behind and it caved his boot in but saved his rear end because it was metal.

#10 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

Have the boot smoothed then paint to car colour or design of your choice, the number plate looks cool in between the twin exhausts under the bumper or on a motorcyle plate like mine. The plate and light fixings are hinged on a spring so move down and back up again when the boot is opened and closed.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

I'm going with everyone else and saying that exposed weave on major exterior panels is just a tad to showy. As Minis85 says, subtlety is key!

#12 Bigbudders

Bigbudders

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

Looks naff IMO, but then again it's your car. Never liked smoothies either, maybe i'm a bit of a purist? I just think the mini looks lovely anyway.

I always wondered why people don't have them painted, surely they want it because it's light not just for show?

#13 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:40 PM

Go for a smoothie lid. I agree with Miniboo, the Carbon Fibre lid doesnt look right on a non-black car.

#14 Pimp1

Pimp1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

I think Carbon boots are cool when they are open and you can see the weave. Painted on the outside thow. Im going for a smootie on mine when it gets back on the road.

#15 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

(pikey7 Today, 12:59 PM)
As for the smoothie, i'm also not a huge fan. I hate the huge number plate light, but I think the numberplate under the bumper makes the back end look like a bit fat a$$ with an appendage that shouldn't be there hanging down.

Or how about the idea I been toying with.... remove the large rear number plate lamp and smooth over the holes, then fit a mk1 style No. Plate surround with the smaller lamp.
Smooth, but not over the top.

As for the carbon fiber boot lid, bit unsure might look unfinished on the colour mini you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users