8 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:23 PM

ive just changed my clutch slave cylinder as the compression was all but gone in my clutch, since replacing it, its still the same, if you press the clutch slightly the compression goes down untill its fully pressed, but when you pump it it comes back, very strange i think. could it be where i may not have bled it properly or could it be the bake bean can playing up?

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

when you pump it to come back, it sounds like its not bled properly. Do you have any signs of a leak anywhere (check inside the car @ the pedal box too).

#3 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

Overhaul the bean can

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

i tried re bleeding it and its better. the compression stays but if you sit at a roundabout in 1st waiting to go with my foot on the clutch, the biting point gets lower and lower until it starts pulling away itself. but when its time for 2nd the compression is back. is it a hard job to recon the bake bean can?

#5 minimike

minimike

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

i tried re bleeding it and its better. the compression stays but if you sit at a roundabout in 1st waiting to go with my foot on the clutch, the biting point gets lower and lower until it starts pulling away itself. but when its time for 2nd the compression is back. is it a hard job to recon the bake bean can?

Just replace the master cylinder! It's simple straight swap and not that much more expensive really.

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:56 PM

ive heard that theres a pin which is a real bugger to get out, is that true?

#7 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

It is fiddly to remove the pin that connects the pedal to the actuating rod. (You have to work from the footwell.) There is a split pin to remove and access is difficult other than with long nose pliers or similar.

You can get an overhaul kit for the cylinder, which replaces the seals etc, or buy a new cylinder, check out the relative prices.

#8 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

cheers for that, i guess its a good idea to replace it anyway, its quite old. so would you say its the master cyl then?

#9 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

It's certainly a suspect. The seals start to wear/age so that it will work with a bit of pumping, but inefficiently, as it lets fluid past, back into the reservoir. That might explain your clutch gradually engaging an junctions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users