42 replies to this topic

#1 josh austin mini city e 82

josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Just wondering how much an engine rebuild would cost me on my 998cc, just a rough cost :) I k ow it will change depending in where I take it but what's a rough price?

#2 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm looking at 1k for mine, if i take it to Col's Mini Centre then it'll probably be a little more.

#3 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Depends what you define as a re-build.

But a £700-£1000 seems about right for a 998cc rebuild/refurb.

#4 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ok thanks, not fully decided yet really, may even need a re bore ... Where is the nearest place to Buxton/Derbyshire that do engine rebuilds? Any one know?

#5 Mini_Alex

Mini_Alex

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Local Club: East Devon Mini Club

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

What about rebuilding it yourself?

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Cost will totally depend upon what you consider to be a rebuild... and also what needs to be done vs what should be done while the engine is apart..

Some think a rebuild is like my refresh service http://www.guess-wor...om/Shop/Engine/

This is NOT a reconditioned engine.

A rebuild should constitute, at least, the complete strip of the engine to it's component parts, and then a nut and bolt rebuild replacing everything which is worn or out of tolerance with either new or good used parts.

So for a rebuild I would budget for..

Short engine...

Crank regrind and new shells & thrusts
Rebore & New pistons, or at worst a Hone and new rings.
Oil pump
Water pump
New timing chain & tensioner ( if one fitted )
Cam followers

Head...

New Valve guides
New valves
Seats reground and lapped ( possibly new seats if going to unleaded )
Valve springs
Valve seals

Clutch

New friction plate

Gearbox...

Need I say more... !

Budget somewhere between £1500 and £2500

#7 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't have the time to do if myself so I would be taking it to somewhere for them to do it.
If I'm going to be spending that much hadn't I may as well buy I re conditioned engine? For say 800+?

#8 leroy26

leroy26

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: minisunleashed.com

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

trust me guessworks stuff is amazing hes one of the last professionals

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't have the time to do if myself so I would be taking it to somewhere for them to do it.
If I'm going to be spending that much hadn't I may as well buy I re conditioned engine? For say 800+?

You would need to think twice about doing that, there is a thread on here about buying a rebuilt engine that turned out to be something other than that.

Properly rebuilt engines are not cheap. The machining and new items will cost the most. You then have to consider how well the engine has been cleaned prior to rebuilding. Were new bearings, bolts seals etc used. What quality are they and so on.

It's a minefield out there and what looks like a lovely shiny fresh engine could be nothing but a tarted up heap of junk.

#10 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Personally I wouldn't spend that sort of money rebuilding a 998, when there are still plenty of decent 998's around to transplant in. Admittedly, it's much more difficult to find a decent 1275 to drop straight in these days, but thanks to all those who have upgrade to 1275's, donor 998's are cheap and plentiful. You can often pick up a decent 998 for less than £100 and at that price, you can risk buying a couple of duff ones before finding a decent one, and still save a fortune over the cost of an engine rebuild.

#11 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

It's very difficult to give a cost until your engine has been stripped and measured/inspected. If it needs reboring for example then then cost could be as much as 300 more than if it doesnt. Same with the condition of the crank, etc. Beware of cheap engines, look at the spec they quote then price up the parts - see if it adds up.

#12 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Be wary about 'reconditioned/ refurbished/ only X hundred mile old' stuff,
I bought a so called 'completely refurbished, only been trial fitted, ported and polished head' from someone on here, all looked fine when I first got it, left it to one side for a few weeks, finally fitted it to the car drove around and wondered why the car was driving so badly.
I assumed it was due to timing, mixture or what not being out, only to do a compression test and find that there was no compression on one cylinder, so took the head off only to find there was massive wear on all the valve guides and burnt valve seats due to the valves not seating correctly, by this time it was a few months after I had bought it and not much I could do, which left me out of pocket by a fair few quid.

#13 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Ok well thankyou for all the info and guidance, gone off the idea of buying refurbished one anyway. If I was to buy a 1275 engine that was in good Nic would it cost me much extra on insurance? Bare in mind I'm only 18.. Or would I just be better off sticking with a 998?
I have a gut feeling that mine will need a lot of work, it's 31 years old and I don't think it's ever been stripped down. It's covered 53000 miles tho ... I'm struggling with what would be the best step. I want my mini in good condition, as in a sound, nippy engine, and good body work e.c.
My engine seems very down on power, to the point where it seems ridicules. Some hills I'm even having to tackle in 2nd -.-

#14 leroy26

leroy26

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: minisunleashed.com

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

do a compression test on your current engine

#15 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Ok well thankyou for all the info and guidance, gone off the idea of buying refurbished one anyway. If I was to buy a 1275 engine that was in good Nic would it cost me much extra on insurance? Bare in mind I'm only 18.. Or would I just be better off sticking with a 998?
I have a gut feeling that mine will need a lot of work, it's 31 years old and I don't think it's ever been stripped down. It's covered 53000 miles tho ... I'm struggling with what would be the best step. I want my mini in good condition, as in a sound, nippy engine, and good body work e.c.
My engine seems very down on power, to the point where it seems ridicules. Some hills I'm even having to tackle in 2nd -.-

You'd be surprised how little difference it costs for a 18yr old with a non std 1275 compared to a 998, Id never be spending that sort of money on a 998.... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users