25 replies to this topic

#16 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

Well it could be but it depends on the exact wording of the ticket. It could actually say no VALID plate for example.

What I'm saying is that he's breaking the law, he knows he is and he's been caught and is pretty lucky to get the minimum penalty. Pay it and forget it. The only reason I can think of to fight it is that it could be counted as a driving conviction for insurance for the next few years but it shouldn't be any more serious than the having a single Gatso ticket on there.

They are really getting tough on reg. plate problems at the moment because so many Max Power idiots change the lettering to try to make their plate say something when it doesn't. Defect rectification is for technical problems with your car that you may not have noticed like bald tyres, you have to actually put the wrong plates on your car on purpose normally so it doesn't count.

#17 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

ok then guys so what should i do, i know im breaking the law and its silly for £30 but the traffic cop was an ar*e, no need to be moody, i was helping him by moving my car, preventing an accident that could have happened by his masssive mercedes estate being half in the road.

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

you can pay most fines over the phone i think. automated.

Ooo, if its one of those things where it charges to the phone line, ring from a friends house! :-

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

Pay the fine, eat humble pie, and change your plates...

#20 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

anyone got a website or number or anything to pay it over the phone or online

#21 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

its probably on the ticket isnt it?

#22 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

The number to ring is on the back of the ticket under the "Ways to pay" section. You just need a credit or debit card.

#23 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

argue the fine, obviosly hes going to go and change his plates if it is taken to court, glad to see you agree that it is a loop hole, i bet hes not that stupid to leave the tin plates on going to a building of law!

Mate of mine went to court for speeding and was banned from driving for 28 days... he'd driven to court expecting points and had no way home and had parked in a 2hr parking space opposite court... got in the car, reversed out of the space and was imediatley re-arrested for driving without a licence, locked up, banned for 12 months... and got a parking fine for overstaying the 2 hour limit.. they had 2 plain clothed feds sat in the car park apparently its very common for people to do it. Always best to Accept the punishement, pay the fine, then fight your corner. otherwise they'll make an example of you. .

#24 [email protected]

[email protected]

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:55 AM

Pay the fine. The technical term for what happened to you is "Getting Caught" ;D

#25 mattyoung69

mattyoung69

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

i was reading a thingy written by an ex police officer on another forum. It was a little while ago now, but i'm failry sure that you should have been issued with a DRN (default rectification notice) and given a set time in which to rectify the fault and prove that it has been rectified (at a police station). Also, you can only be given this by a traffic cop. its not the juristiction of regular police IIRC.

That's basically what i remember from it, but it's possible that i mangled the info somehow. I'll try and find where it was originally written.

complete rubbish im afraid - any police officer can issue a vdr or a fixed penalty notice - doesnt have to be a traffic officer at all.

the law states 'a constable in uniform'....under s.163 in regards to document offences, not a constable who is a traffic officer as well as a social worker, part time paramedic, marriage counsellour and others..

you state you knew they were illegal, whats the problem? go to court for the laugh and laugh even more when the judge rules against you and then you have costs to pay as well as the fine......

as soon as you take ownership of that vehicle you are responsible for it, including any defects or illegal parts...easiest option, change them!!!

attitude makes no difference to it, he has a job to do and thats what he did, it makes no difference to who you are or age, you committed an offence for which you were dealt with.

its not a motoring conviction unless you dont pay, it will not affect ur licence/insurance if you pay the £30.00 and take it on the chin.

#26 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

just paid the fine over the phone so job done, thanks for the comments guys, love a good debate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users