Photo

Very Serious Bodywork Problem (Also Cost £1600?!)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Lancaster

Lancaster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hey It's me again!

Remember my A panel replacement thread? http://www.theminifo...ment-cost-l500/

Well we sent it in for repair and the mechanic has taken the front wing off to repair the damage and found what appears to be a *%&$ load of rust and work that needs doing, I need some advice.

This is my first time I've put my car in for repairs so I'm a little sceptical as are my family.
He's saying that it's going to cost us roughly £1600 (also £200~ for general MOT which is to replace both front brake discs!?) to fix it by plate welding or something, fit a new front wing and A panel and spray paint both the wing and A panel.

What're your thoughts on this, I'll include some photos of my Mini taken by him, printed out and taken with my phone. (Click for Larger)

Full Size: http://imgur.com/Xq4P2eA
Posted Image

Full Size: http://i.imgur.com/wS5mrDI.jpg
Posted Image

#2 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

thats so impressive.... ha...

over priced look elsewhere. i paid 1500 for a full repsray and rid of any rust, which was in the rear arches...

#3 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

You will need this panel http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Fair bit of work to fit.

#4 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thats a reasonable price, for that amount of work.

Thats the flitch/door hinge panel, so that needs a hole replacement, chances are the other side is gone as well, so that side needs a full rebuild by the looks of it.

For that work, and paint and a garage, I'd say thats about right.

Edit and the inner wing, so I'd say thats a fair price.

Edited by Noah, 26 February 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#5 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

As has been said, that's a full inner wing and a door hinge panel! Make sure he is using the full inner wing and not a flitch repair panel! I'd put money on you finding a hole behind the shocker top mount too!

Get him to check the scuttle closing panels!

What's the other side like?

To do the job properly wil be fairly time consuming, you could try and negotiate it down but you ddon't want him to cut corners!

#6 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

If I was you ild buy a welder and get learning lot cheaper than paying someone to do it and if he says he gotta "plate" it I would go else where you need to repair this properly with a complete inner wing, door post, a panel and wing. Where are you located????

Danny

#7 Lancaster

Lancaster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

What's the other side like?

The other side appears fine there's not really a cause for concern, although he says the drivers side tends to go whereas the passengers' doesn't he said he'll take a look if we choose to have the work done.

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Ask him if he's planning on using a full inner wing panel!

The other thing to consider is if he's vat registered 20% of that price goes to the government and he has no control over that!

Edited by Carlos W, 27 February 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#9 Lancaster

Lancaster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Ask him if he's planning on using a full inner wing panel!

The other thing to consider is if he's vat registered 20% of that price goes to the government and he has no control over that!

He said just he'd plate it, he also said VAT was included in the quote he gave us.

Edited by Lancaster, 27 February 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

That can't be plated, it needs the rust cut out and a whole new full inner wing welded in! And for the price he's quoting that's what he should be doing!

#11 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I wouldn't plate it take it to a mini place. Plating that is unsafe

Dan

#12 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

To repair properly, you're talking about an inner wing, flitch panel, wing, door post, A-panel and possibly scuttle and closing panels too. In order to do all that and make good afterwards, I'd say £1,600 is fairly reasonable. Which is why owning a classic mini is always going to get very expensive at some point, if you're not able to weld, or the type of person who is prepared to learn how to weld yourself. Also given that level of corrosion, I'd be really surprised if there weren't other areas of the car that needed attention too..

Faced with an £1,800 repair bill, I'd probably be considering selling the car on as a project and buying another that's in a better state of repair instead. You could probably get around the £500 mark back for it if you were to sell and with the market as it is at the moment, you can pick up a very nice example with a full MOT for around the £2k mark.

#13 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

It wants this panel fitted, and for the money that's what I'd want (there will also be the door hinge panel)

http://www.minispare...04.aspx|Back to

As mini danny says, I'd be looking for somewhere else!

Where abouts are you, perhaps someone on here can help or recommend somewhere??

#14 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

To repair properly, you're talking about an inner wing, flitch panel, wing, door post, A-panel and possibly scuttle and closing panels too. In order to do all that and make good afterwards, I'd say £1,600 is fairly reasonable. Which is why owning a classic mini is always going to get very expensive at some point, if you're not able to weld, or the type of person who is prepared to learn how to weld yourself. Also given that level of corrosion, I'd be really surprised if there weren't other areas of the car that needed attention too..

Faced with an £1,800 repair bill, I'd probably be considering selling the car on as a project and buying another that's in a better state of repair instead. You could probably get around the £500 mark back for it if you were to sell and with the market as it is at the moment, you can pick up a very nice example with a full MOT for around the £2k mark.

AVV IT, you word things so much better than me

#15 Lancaster

Lancaster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Where abouts are you, perhaps someone on here can help or recommend somewhere??

Stamford Area PE9
I know at least two mini centres both Sleaford Minis and Rutland Minis both look to be very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users