90 replies to this topic

#16 DugganC17

DugganC17

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

would be up for this definately but need to finish my pickup and pass my test first

#17 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Oulton park to these track day rental things & is pretty local to the majority of us as its not to far south for us northerners & vice versa.
Sign me up for it once i pass my test & restore the mk2 :D .

#18 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Oulton park central :lol: to where?

If were talking central, Donnington, or Mallory park, maybe Rockingham, but seeing as the last time i was there i blew my engine up... i dislike the place, plus its the one place in the country that is ALWAYS!! cold

#19 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

its the best mid point place i could think of thats avalible for trackday ect..
Its ok for us up north & in wales but not to far up north for the south.
Maybe judge were & when when the intrest is gauged as not many northern people might be intrested so it really depends on tmfer's and track availability

#20 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

Oulton would be great for me as it's only 45 minutes away at most.

Silverstone would be nice and central. Donnington would be central if more users are northern.

#21 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Oulton park central :lol: to where?

If were talking central, Donnington, or Mallory park, maybe Rockingham, but seeing as the last time i was there i blew my engine up... i dislike the place, plus its the one place in the country that is ALWAYS!! cold

That's weird- Rockingham is the one track we always get sunburnt at! The race is always in early July though so that might have something to do with it. Donny park and Mallory are great. The Mallory mile is a hoot, if you add in the loop then lower powered cars will be slugs. The only hassle with Mallory is the fact that you can only get to and from the pits when the track is closed. That can be a pain as it means you can't come and go as you please.

#22 Archa

Archa

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'd be game dependent on whether the mini is still on the road by then or not.

Not only does the track have to be fairly central it should be suited for mini's... some places are just too big and open to be any fun! Might as well all just meet up on the M25 and race round that lol.

Brands hatch is an awesome track, but I agree too south for all the northern people, Silverstone is pretty central no?

Anyway I just found this site, could help us pick easier. http://www.gissit.co...-tracks-map.php

#23 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Silverstone will be too large for us I think, the miglia's are flat out all the way round. I would expect a few of us blowing up on Silverstone. mallory park, Snetterton, cadwell park, Donington would be good mini tracks

#24 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Snetterton ain't central enough....its near to no where!

Oulton Park gets my vote.....very near to M6 so very good access to everyone really.

Mallory, Donnington, Bedford and Rockingham are all true 'centrally' based locations worth considering. All have good enough access to people from the south or north

My preference would be a mini friendly twisty technical circuit with shorter straights.

#25 Kat7Racing

Kat7Racing

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Donington is prob the most central location for all... also minis flat out down Craner Curves is a sight to see, so Donington gets my vote. Just remember that to get the race cars out will be a complex issue as looking at all the series cars on here they will clash with respect to dates coinciding with series dates.

#26 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Also Three Sister's circuit would be awesome in a mini.....its a large go kart track after all!!!

Edited by rally1380, 01 March 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#27 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Donington is prob the most central location for all... also minis flat out down Craner Curves is a sight to see, so Donington gets my vote. Just remember that to get the race cars out will be a complex issue as looking at all the series cars on here they will clash with respect to dates coinciding with series dates.

Not sure this is about getting 'race' cars out is it? Isn't this more a track day for road going mini's?

If its going to be packed with race cars then i'm not interested as i don't want to spend my time looking in my mirrors to get out of the way of Miglia's.

#28 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Having organised this sort of thing before, there are a number of factors that have to be taken into account.

Location is an obvious one, but also availability, cost, insurance and the willingness of the circuit owner to allow a group of mini owners onto the circuit. Within the cost there has to be provision for an ambulance and some sort of marshall or incident backup. Scrutineering is a must.

#29 Kat7Racing

Kat7Racing

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Not sure this is about getting 'race' cars out is it? Isn't this more a track day for road going mini's?

If its going to be packed with race cars then i'm not interested as i don't want to spend my time looking in my mirrors to get out of the way of Miglia's.

Ive done track days at Donington before, and the difference in performance from a road going 70HP car to a 300HP race car on open pitlane..... many and varied and LOTS of cars on track at the same time from Full blown race cars down to road going cars...... The thing is that the circuits dont permit racing at track days.... they are very strict and remember we wont have a full marshal contingent and all the saftey personel you get, and pay for, at a race. Theirfore anyone racing at a track day is removed. Also you do find that the race cars..... ie those drivers that have experience in a full race situation recognise the demands and allow for the road going cars limitations, we arnt all looneys ;-) Race cars are expensive bits of kit, we dont want them damaged and we know the difference between the handling and speed of a road car and a race car. Their are options of course, we could split down the day into 2 sessions session A and session B.... with 40 min sessions on a rotation, road cars and race cars. Belive me you wont want to drive for 8 hours all day, and neither will your road car OR a race car..... splitting into 2 sessions might work rather well as it give s both cars and driver rest time. Just my view, others may differ...... but I think it might work well...... also I might fit a second seat in my car and take a few passengers out to see if the race scene is for them..... anyone fancy a passenger ride in a Mini Se7en???

Edited by Kat7Racing, 01 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#30 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

i'll have a word with dave at opentrack, know him well enough, he might be able to set us up a private trackday if we get enough definite people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users