#1 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and also to the classic mini experience (and it's amazing so far). I'm looking to build my mini for weekend track days and mild road use every so often and am looking for the best wheel size. The guy I bought it off has been running on 7 x 13's but I've been questioning going down to 12's instead. I just need a best all-rounder. Im currently looking at the ultralite range which is probably the best weight saver I take it?. If the details are needed, it's a 1985 1275cc Mini Mayfair conversion.

Looking forward to the replies and opinions on the matter!

Cheers guys,
- Tom

#2 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

12s are good:) 5x12 will be a good set up! you could put 10s on it, but it means getting a 10 inch brake conversion kit which is more money..

http://www.minisport...lver_Wheel.html

in an ideal world, you would get alloy 4 pot 7.5inch brakes, 7x10 wheels and some super sticky rubber, but this is very costly.. for starting off track days 5x12s will be better.

13s are just out of the question

#3 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I second 5 x 12's and fit 165/55x12 Yokohama A048R's.....out of the box track tyres...job done!

#4 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

and its the best looking wheel+tyre combo i have seen in a bit. front cover of this months mini mag! nom

#5 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

13s are just out of the question

Can I ask why you say that? I'm asking because our Clubbie currently runs 6x13's with Yoko 539's, but we also have a set of 12 inch Superlites with Yokos sitting in the garage, but haven't had chance to try them yet. Car seems fine on the 13's though?

keith

#6 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

the car feels more wallowy, harsher ride due to the small tyre wall, the suspension was not designed to work with the 13 wheels :P

#7 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

what you really want it some 10x6's worth 165/70/10 you really can't beat the handling I use to run 13's went to 10's and I will never run 13's again

Danny

#8 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

what you really want it some 10x6's worth 165/70/10 you really can't beat the handling I use to run 13's went to 10's and I will never run 13's again

Danny

Yeh but as mentioned above...going down to 10's means a brake setup change so more £££. 12's are the best compromise allowing current brake setup and still good handling. plus the A048R's look amazing!!!!!.

13's are a waste of time...all style and no substance.

#9 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the response so far guys, really appreciate it. So going to 12's won't require the brake conversion? If money were no object, 10's are the most ideal? I'd rather spend a little more and have optimum results at the end of the day! Especially when it's performance/safety related. Are ultralite a still the way to go?

#10 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

the car feels more wallowy, harsher ride due to the small tyre wall, the suspension was not designed to work with the 13 wheels :P

OK cheers. Guess we'll wear the 13'' Yokos out & put the 12's on then...!! :D (it's a competition car so ride is totally unimportant anyway. Also doesn't feel that wallowy...!!)

#11 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

personnally i'd go for pucker minilites rather than ultralites as i prefer the way they look. It depends on your brake setup, but 12's usually fit perfectly fine over the standard 8.4" disc brake setup.

On my car, i've got the 7.5" minispares brake conversion fitted so i can swap from 12's to 10's as i want (or when my tyres get goosed!!!) without needing to swap anything mechanical.

For track use.....upgrade your pads to track specific ones and also replace the fluid with high temp racing stuff and make sure your braking system is 100%!!!!

#12 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Ya 10's are ideal And yes 12's will fit straight on

#13 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Awesome, thanks. I'll weigh up my options. I won't be hitting the track before my mini is ready, there isn't any point getting all excited and binning it on my first lap round! I'm already planning on spending more and seeing the better results, even if its going round a corner a little better or hauling 0.5 extra BHP. My flat is already piling up with mini parts, finding the time to fit them is the biggest challenge at the minute.

#14 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

For track use.....upgrade your pads to track specific ones and also replace the fluid with high temp racing stuff and make sure your braking system is 100%!!!!

Might seem like a silly question, but these changes wont alter road legality will they?

#15 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Might seem like a silly question, but these changes wont alter road legality will they?

Shouldn't think so - I've also got a rally prepared Ibiza GTi, & it's fitted with EBC yellow stuff pads & they've never been questioned at MOT time. And they're great on the road too, perfect from cold, no warming up needed. I haven't had chance to check what's on the Mini yet...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users