26 replies to this topic

#16 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

The pads i use do say 'track use only and not for road use'...but they are fine.

Its usually because the initial bite when the pads are cold can be a bit weak so for road use they can be seen as potentially dangerous. Personnally i have not had any issue with mine (Mintex M1144) and they work really well when hot so are well suited to track use. Just be aware that some pads don't work well when cold so if using them to pop down the road don't expect there to be much braking feel straight away. Track biased cars do need good brakes so if you are starting a project, the braking and handling are the first places to invest your ££££. Wheels and tyres can come later but bare them in mind of course.

#17 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nice one, so http://www.minisport...fo_SSBK01S.html and some nice 6 x 10's would be a decent setup for what I'm after?

#18 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

http://www.minisport...lver_Wheel.html

they will look the mutts nutts!

#19 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Green stuff pads are not that good to be honest.

You need more than that also to convert your 8.4" setup to 7.5".....different caliper. Look for the full 7.5" conversion kit.

#20 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

http://www.minisport...nfo_MS2681.html

conversion kit.

#21 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Ah right, I see. I reckon I'll go for the 10's. Although the conversion is pricey, the 10's are significantly less than the 13's anyway so I don't mind quite so much. Ill just have to buy it in stages and fit it when it's all ready in a month or so. As tempting as the 12's are, I'd rather not think "that'll do" about my little mini! It needs to be..

the mutts nutts!

#22 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

If you join the TMF+ membership you can get discount at minispares for your conversion kit. Also there is sometimes a 'group buy' discount thing on here also so you might save some cash that way also.

good luck with the build

#23 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

there is a group buy for the conversion at the moment on here :)

#24 MiniTom1991

MiniTom1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Cheer bud, I will do. I spoke to the manager at mini sport and he also said he'd organise discounts for me for continuous use of the site. Ill see what discounts they offer me and stuff :)

#25 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Well I personally wound bother with 10s as I've found that there's too much side wall movement

With 10" wheels your can run 32r's,there good and if your suspension half decent it handle well and they give you warning before they lose grip and start sliding,plus tyres are cheap.and they are the best set up for the road.

With 12" wheels bigger foot print,medium compound 048r's are much better longer lasting and handle better but little bit more nervous but a lot more feel through the steering but they don't give you much warning when they start to lose grip, they do drive worse on the road tho.

13" wheels only need 6j tho,bigger foot print again and a lot more tyre to choose from,the grip very well but give no warning, crap on the road

#26 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Can't comment on 10's as never run a mini on them, but have run 12 x 5's 165/60 and 13 x 7's 175/50 both with yoko a539s, on the road and in competition, and can say my personal preference is the 13's. Yes they follow every road contour and provide a harsher ride, but stopping distance is greatly reduced, cornering grip greatly increased and the wheels break traction under acceleration less.

#27 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

It is true that 13 inch wheels do allow for wider tyres to be used, which can increase outright grip. But as mentioned the car is not as nice to drive. Its up to you which wheels you buy, but if you want the best then head over to Force Racing :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users