Photo

Helpful Or Off Putting

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: TMF Help/Advice (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with the response to your questions In TMF

1. Yes I'm Happy (19 votes [52.78%])

Percentage of vote: 52.78%

2. I Don't Find One Word Answers Helpful (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. I Have Asked Questions But Have Got Negative Comments (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

4. Other Please List Below (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just a question to all TMF Members Established or New and Staff

If you ask for help in the sections would you prefure if the advice given was helpful and not short statements like "won't work" "waste of money" and little advice given to actually help the origional poster?

In some cases the answers given in some threads because they don't suit the vision of the person replying to the original poster, can give the impression to someone new or inexperienced that they are being put down due to their lack of experience.

We need obviously to build TMF with new members but some of the comments I feel are not showing TMF at its best to members who ask for help.

Can I ask that we show our opinion in the poll, and help the TMF community to maintain its status as the best place to be involved with the classic mini.

Any constructive comments welcome. I have no connection with TMF other than being a member, and hope Admin/Staff appreciate I'm after maintaining and improving TMF

Thanks

Edited by KernowCooper, 13 March 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#2 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

It varies in all honesty.

There are certain people I trust and some I don't. So much so that, I no longer bother posting in the technical sections but rather go straight for a private message.

Usually the message goes to Cooperman, ACDodd or Someone else on the 'MiniDocs' team.

#3 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

In some circumstances a one word answer is appropriate - i.e. ''will this fit my car''

But of course, it may be appropriate to reply, ''Yes, it will but you can get it cheaper here'' or in the case of steering column drop brackets ''don't forget to slacken the steering rack nuts'' would be very appropriate to mention

On the flip side, experienced members arguing about the correct way to do something in someone's question thread will result in massive confusion for the OP - how do they know who to believe?

#4 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Mini-Luke has explained better why I go straight for a PM.

#5 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

People tend to drift a lot and argue

Someone gives there answer and several other objected etc.

In other words you get no where

So i became a mechanic so i never need to ask much.

People give opinions on something they dont know much about.

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

There are certain people I trust and some I don't. So much so that, I no longer bother posting in the technical sections but rather go straight for a private message.

Usually the message goes to Cooperman, ACDodd or Someone else on the 'MiniDocs' team.

There from a point of view is a problem as if its not in the technical section and was answered by PM because of the reason you list then anyone else on TMF with the same question using the search feature won't find any help.

#7 minilee94

minilee94

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

To be fair only people that I find any help and actually learn somink from is you , cooper man and about 2 others

Other people on here are just arses and are just down and out to piss someone off

It's meant to be a forum to get help not to be talked down to everyone has to start somewhere :)

#8 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

If you post on the forum others can benefit from the answer, you don't have to pay attention to all the reply's

Edited by mini-luke, 13 March 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#9 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

People tend to drift a lot and argue

Someone gives there answer and several other objected etc.

In other words you get no where

So i became a mechanic so i never need to ask much.

People give opinions on something they dont know much about.

Understand where your coming from sam but people will always have opinions, but sometimes the arguing is not helpful so point taken mate

#10 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

There from a point of view is a problem as if its not in the technical section and was answered by PM because of the reason you list then anyone else on TMF with the same question using the search feature won't find any help.

Until there comes a point when you can start a thread in the Technical section without someone spouting off into argument.

I just won't post. I know this isn't massively helpful, but at the same time it isn't massively helpful to trawl through 14 pages of arguments about the way to wire in a cigarette lighter. So I've found people I trust and I ask them.

I'm a trainee mechanic so not alot gets asked, and if it is. I ask someone specific.

#11 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

To be fair only people that I find any help and actually learn somink from is you , cooper man and about 2 others

Other people on here are just arses and are just down and out to piss someone off

It's meant to be a forum to get help not to be talked down to everyone has to start somewhere :)

Thats what TMF doesn't want and is something which needs to be addresses then, thanks for pointing that out.

#12 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Again another thing to be noted.

I agree with you. I think some people in the Technical section assume that everyone has the Mechanical Aptitude of a F1 Mechanic...

#13 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Whenever someone with limited knowledge asks a question, it normally gets answered because there are a lot of people on here who will know basics and can help.

When I post questions, they are normally in depth and very technical. I always get answers and they are always right.

Normally when someone doesn't get the help they want, they mean they didn't get the answer they wanted. ( EG. Exhaust size, straight cut gears etc)

I can't complain

#14 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

They do say, ask a daft question expect a daft awnser

#15 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

I have noticed on some posts the original poster has left the post due to derogatory comments which is one and the same thing Noah, something else to take on board. Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users