Photo

Helpful Or Off Putting

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: TMF Help/Advice (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with the response to your questions In TMF

1. Yes I'm Happy (19 votes [52.78%])

Percentage of vote: 52.78%

2. I Don't Find One Word Answers Helpful (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. I Have Asked Questions But Have Got Negative Comments (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

4. Other Please List Below (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

They do say, ask a daft question expect a daft awnser

But its usually a daft question due to the OP lack of experience, so doesn't really warrant a daft answer, would it not be more helpful to explain why and try and put the OP right by informed answers, don't you think?

I've asked loads of daft questions and other than the usual banter I seem to attract :proud: the replys have always been helpful

To be honest I think the responses to most easy/basic questions are answered helpfully on here. Its the more in depth tech threads that can attract the testosterone fueled keyboard warriors. ...having said that theres nothing wrong with hearing different points of view on things as long as they stay on topic and dont become a handbag fight

We do try to nip things in the bud and take out the unhelpful posts but unless one of us is actually looking through those threads at the time they can go unnoticed so we have to rely on the members to report them to us

<<< Helpful :proud:

#32 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Obviously all taken on board and noted.

#33 hermini

hermini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm a newbie on here but I hope I can give my opinion.I look after my daughters car and have never had much to do with minis,so when I need any advice or help I come to TMF and hopefully find what I need.Her car is bog standard and all she wants to do is drive it so realy technical stuff wont apply,but its nice if a Mini novice can feel as if any question asked is not going to sound stupid to someone with lots of experience.I must say that from what Ive seen most people on here go out of their way to help.Many thanks.

#34 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

cant we have more technically stickys to the most frequently asked questions so you dont have to search or ask a question, im sure you know the ones;
plug size/gap
electronic ignition fitting
convert 12s to 10s
compression results etc

I did one on Batteries, Earths and Alternators a week ago and asked could it be made a sticky or pinned as we call it here, and yes a list of timing figures and other technical stuff is a good idea.

#35 mailman

mailman

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

There's a saying, and I don't remember it's proper wording but it's something like, hear many but listen to a few.

Personally I think that while it can be very valuable to go to someone via pm the benefits of the forum are somewhat lost. You can guarantee that everyone question you have someone else wants to know the answer to, either for a specific solution, or simply to gather more opinions and knowledge. It's also a form of entertainment for people to see others going through things with their mini's.

All IMHO of course.

#36 venkman

venkman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

I had a problem with regards to the ignition,sorry i carn't remember the name Irostroke i think, but they followed me from start to finish with the "obvious" problems to start then more detailed. They nailed it and sorted the probelm for me,which would have stopped me!

I have posted a few questions all in all i get good response and really like the set up on TMF.

Keep up the good work :highfive:

#37 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

TMF's USP does seem to be that we cater for all Mini owners, I'd hate to think anyone would think a question was too basic or stupid to ask. Even if it was the case, it'd be better than not asking & suffering the consequences of a stupid or basic mistake. You may be asking for someone else too, who was too embarrassed - though, like the forum itself, any embarrassment would only be virtual.

Use site:theminiforum.co.uk as a prefix for searching from Google.

It's a good point about help topics being hijacked by more experienced members with a difference of opinion. Perhaps it would be better to start a new topic if you are one of those "highflyers". You could even put a link in the original topic, plus you could give it a more meaningful title to help it be found in searches.

#38 BishopMaverick

BishopMaverick

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

People's opinions are fine IF they state this is the case... Misrepresenting opinion as fact is annoying. Opinions that are put in a blunt, unhelpful or deliberately hurtful manner are not helpful or needed. Posts that are genuinely and obviously humorous are fine in my opinion. Generally happy though with the majority of responses on here :thumbsup:

Edited by BishopMaverick, 23 March 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#39 mini*mad

mini*mad

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

most questions have been asked a million times before so really need a big sign prior to posting a thread, other than that its not too bad Lol

HAVE YOU TRIED THE SEARCH BUTTON!?

#40 sam-wkd

sam-wkd

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm also pretty new returning to mini-ing after a decent length of time and a newbie to the site.

The help that I have received is great, although I have seen other threads that have gotten a little tense. I've found that searching via Google is the best way to get a decent search result.

I'm also a member of a number of other forums, and this one really is one of the most relaxed that I frequent (despite the odd handbag shake) - so keep up the good work guys!

#41 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Small things on TMF can be down to something as simple as not reading the rules for instance "selling"

I cannot abide one word replies which again there is a rule stating just that issue. A simple "No" is not enough or "Why" is another. If you reply to a question then you need to give a simple but well worded reply.

Yes there are certain people on here that follow that rule of being blunt etc but that is the odd one or two. We can deal with that but if you feel offended then please use the report button. We then as Staff can hopefully do something about it.

I always say to Noobies that say they may post what appears like silly or daft questions and we as the Forum will try and answer their questions, but if their mechanical knowledge is limited then what they are describing may sound nonsensical. We normally get to the bottom of what they are after.

What everybody has to remember on here we were not born with mechanical knowledge, it is something that is learned through time and experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users