#1 ridley

ridley

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

hello,

I'm new to the site, i have had a 79 clubman for a year now. this seemed to be the best place to ask the question i have.

about a month ago my engine broke! i was qouted 2500 to fix it. now i think maybe i should just get a new engine.

my question is, what other types of engine would easily fit into my engine bay, or is the best option to get a mini engine?

any advice is very much welcome!

thanks

#2 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

the easiest choice would be a mini or metro engine, but lots of engines fit in, the most common conversions are rover 1.4 1.6 1.8 kseries engines. vauxhall 2litre c20xe or c20let turbo, nissan micra, honda b16 vtecs, and r1 bike.

i picked up a 1275 mg metro engine for 500 and spent 100 on other parts need like exhaust and rad bits and dropped it in over the weekend

#3 ridley

ridley

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

so, only a mini engine would literally drop in?

and a metro engine would with a few other small parts.

is that right?

#4 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

any front wheel drive a or a+ engine will drop in. anything else, get the grinder out.

#5 adedrum

adedrum

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Certainly only a Mini or perhaps Metro/ Austin 1100, 1300 will drop straight in although there are different types of drive shaft couplings and gear change mechanisms to cope with. Even changing it for another Mini engine you need to make sure that it is of a similar year, otherwise you will have a lot of adaptation to do.

Using Vauxhall, Nissan, Rover etc. engines requires a huge amount of adaptation.

I recently saw a completely re-built 1275 cc Mini Engine and gearbox on e-Bay for £1500 which is effectively new. The guy who builds them could advise if it would fit your car.

£2500 seems a bit steep...

#6 ridley

ridley

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

very steep! i feel he was trying to rip us off. first he told me 250-300 to diagnose the problem.
it just cost me 500 to get it back, all he did was take the engine apart and get the head crack tested.
:(

#7 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

For £2500 you could get yourself an engine kit.............
£1225
http://www.med-engin...tion-engine-kit
£1375
http://www.med-engin...pe-r-engine-kit
£1750
http://www.med-engin...d-xt-engine-kit
save your cash then rather buy a 2nd hand engine that may not last....... :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users