15 replies to this topic

#1 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

Hey all. has anyone put a roll cage into a mini pickup? I would like to know from anyone who has and if it can be done.

Thanks

#2 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

give safety devices a ring, they are only up the road at soham, they may be able to adapt a saloon one, or may even do one just for a pick up.

one word of warning though, the arent cheap, i asked about a price for a cage for my jem, and they said as its a one off, the price would start at £2500!!!!

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:11 PM

I had a rear cage in mine, used the hoop from a Safety Devices cage and cut it down by a few inches so it was level with the roof, then bolted it all in as normal.

Attached Files

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:15 PM

I also had one in it that had home made rear legs that went down to the floor near the tailgate, it looked ok, but got in the way.

Attached Files

#5 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:10 PM

bluebottle: Soham isnt far at all and thats where my local mini garage is too ill have to give them a call cheers.

bluemini(red): Nice pickup, i like the rear role bars but im hoping to get a tilt for mine so i want a cage for inside. Im sure someone must have done it at one stage as i think pickups have been grasstrcked in the past.
Ive had a look at your new site too, nice stuff (mini and site!). Just wondered how difficult it is to modify the calipers to fit over wellers like that? I have a set of wellers that i want to put on the pickup and an 8.4" setup of my mates crashed mini so before i fork out for an S setup id like to see it i could do it.

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:51 PM

Make your own cage for in the cab, you can hire a tube bender from most tool hire shops for less than £20 and just weld the tubes together...

As for the calipers, its tial and error, but dont do it if your not confident. If you do try it, I recomend you seperate the two halves of the caliper and have a look were the fluid galleries are so you dont break thru into them.

#7 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

That sounds ok i like the idea of making my own cage but can you buy the fixings to make the cage a bolt in type as i want to be able to remove it if i need to.
Im fairly confident in the garage so ill give it a go. The breaks need a rebuild before i put them on so ill see inside when im doing that. What did you use to do the machineing, a dremal with a grinding attatchment?

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

What did you use to do the machineing, a dremal with a grinding attatchment?

A grinder! :gasp: :grin:

Just do it a bit at a time and keep fitting the wheel to see if it rubs. You'll need to bolt the wheel up tight to make sure it clears ok, as holding it in place isn't good enuf.

As for the cage, make some brackets yourself.

#9 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

bluebottle: Soham isnt far at all and thats where my local mini garage is too ill have to give them a call cheers.

i take it you mean deans mini's, have you had much to do with him?.....he any good?

#10 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:54 PM

have you still got that pick up rich? what happened with it etc?

#11 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the help Bluemini(red) ill tell you how i get on with the cage and the brakes.
yeh bluebottle ive had a few dealings with deans through my mate, who had a load of work done there. They did an ok job and replaced rusty pannels rather than plating overthem but it wasnt the best job and we've since gone over some of the work they did to tidy it up. It did get through the mot though. Was abit steap to, at £200 for each sill but at least they didnt do an oversill.

#12 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

yeah, i'd heard mixed things about him, and he does seem to be rather dear!

i think he gets used to ripping off the yanks from the local airbases, and keeps the silly prices for everyone else as well!....luckily my car never needs welding!

#13 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:40 PM

yeah, i'd heard mixed things about him, and he does seem to be rather dear!

i think he gets used to ripping off the yanks from the local airbases, and keeps the silly prices for everyone else as well!....luckily my car never needs welding!

Never needs welding! You do have a mini dont you?! :D

#14 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

no, i have a mini jem, its got a fibreglass shell, hence the never needs welding bit!.. :grin:

#15 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

cool, mini jems are real nice and rare. I wish my pickup was free from tinworm! :sad: o well maybe ill add a jem to my wish list :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users