8 replies to this topic

#1 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

So as you may have read in my project pages i've been stripping my MG metro engine (thought it would be best while it's out and as an educational thing too(never done this before!)). I was just going to strip it down to the main parts and give it a visual inspection but what i want to know is it there anything else i am capable of doing myself and anything that i should think about getting a pro to do? Gaskets, flush oil/water ways, etc etc

Any tips? I'll take a few pics if you want to inspect stuff for me :teehee:

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

anyone?

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

well, depends what you mean by strippin it down to the main parts really.

If you mean whip the head off and have a look in there, that's real easy. Whilst you are in there you could easily check the condition of the valves/seats and give them a nice lapping in.

You could also (depending on condition) give it a good clean up in the combustion chambers.

If you are gonna be taking the gearbox off (which is a little more involved) you could also pop off a main cap on the crank, maybe a big end or two, this would reveal the condition of the crank/shells.

The Haynes manual does actually cover inspection techniques for engine components such as the oil pump etc. Checking or even replacing that may be worthwhile.

If you are confiudent that the engine is a good one, then I guess none of that is totally necessary.

As for gaskets, I would replace the gasket for anything you undo, take off, or anything that looks like it's leaking!

#4 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:59 PM

Ok thats great, just what i was looking for! :teehee: (getting a new unleaded head so don't need to do any 'lapping in' :( )

Yeah i'll be taking the gearbox off (i'm halfway there i just need a bigger socket set ;))

cheers anyone else got any input while I'm here? :P

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

when taking the 'box off, make a note of all of the little locktabs and put em somewhere safe, take a photo of everything you do too!

in the past I have put the tabs and bolts back into the transfer case in the correct place once it's all off so I don't forget what goes where.

You could get into checking the gearbox tolerances too (including the transfear gear ones) whilst you are takin stuff apart!

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

not that i have ever done it but i have been told its easyer to fit the gear box to the block rather than the block to the box when refitting :teehee:

#7 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

Check this out too. I'll be getting one.

http://minifilms.co....iesbuilder.html

#8 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

yeah i've watched that clip three times now! gonna order that dvd right now! will probably make a 1380 my next engine :teehee:

#9 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

Cracking link to that DVD shame it aint out to the end of the month, but I will no doubt order 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users