14 replies to this topic

#1 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

So basically among other problems which have been resolved, in a morning in whatever weather my car finds it difficult to warm up and ends in cutting out half way down the road. I have tried warming up for a longer period of time and I have been told to check the heater temp. for an indication (no temp. gauge is installed). On top of this whether this is related or not when sat still in neutral the engine seems to dip in power every few seconds which I thought was unusual.

Any ideas guys? :gimme:

Thanks

Edited by ashc94, 19 March 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

May be worth checking you have a thermostat fitted.

If from cold you remove rad cap, and rev engine...if it looks like water is flowing from front to back of rad straight away good chance no thermostat or its stuck open.

#3 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

So basically among other problems which have been resolved, in a morning in whatever weather my car finds it difficult to warm up and ends in cutting out half way down the road. I have tried warming up for a longer period of time and I have been told to check the heater temp. for an indication (no temp. gauge is installed). On top of this whether this is related or not when sat still in neutral the engine seems to dip in power every few seconds which I thought was unusual.

Thanks

I was just wondering would bad spark plugs/leads contribute to the engine loss of power?

#4 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thanks

Ill have a look into that, thanks for the suggestion

#5 lewBlew

lewBlew

Previously known as theboybradley.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Does hot air come out of the heater then or not? If it doesn't then perhaps you are running low on coolant (or the valve to the heater circuit has failed).

Uneven idle could be a number of things but is often down to ignition timing being out, or a misfire indicating another problem with ignition components e.g. spark plugs, points etc. It may need a service. I would have thought this would be the reason the car is stalling, more than anything to do with temperature as unless the car overheats (and you have the opposite problem) I don't think running a little cold would cause it to stall when being driven.

#6 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Does hot air come out of the heater then or not? If it doesn't then perhaps you are running low on coolant (or the valve to the heater circuit has failed).

Uneven idle could be a number of things but is often down to ignition timing being out, or a misfire indicating another problem with ignition components e.g. spark plugs, points etc. It may need a service. I would have thought this would be the reason the car is stalling, more than anything to do with temperature as unless the car overheats (and you have the opposite problem) I don't think running a little cold would cause it to stall when being driven.

Yes warm air comes out of the heater I had been told to use that as an indication of the car temp. but the car still stops. I might just change the spark plugs and leads and see if it ticks over more consistently. We have recently changed the head gasket and set the points so I don't think they will be an issue. Thanks for the help.

Edited by ashc94, 19 March 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#7 lewBlew

lewBlew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes and get the timing checked with a strobe if you have a friend or friendly garage near you. That might help the running.

Another thing is, is the choke in good order and working properly? If the car is cold and you drive off without enough choke you would stall.

Edited by lewBlew, 19 March 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#8 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yes and get the timing checked with a strobe if you have a friend or friendly garage near you. That might help the running.

Another thing is, is the choke in good order and working properly? If the car is cold and you drive off without enough choke you would stall.

Yeah the engine does not like choke at all so it has to be warmed up properly. I will have someone look at the tickover/mixture screws to see if it solves this problem.

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Warming the car up properly is driving it! It's very bad for it to sit and warm up at idle, it warms up far quicker being driven anyway. To be honest it just sounds like it needs a good service and tune up.

#10 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Warming the car up properly is driving it! It's very bad for it to sit and warm up at idle, it warms up far quicker being driven anyway. To be honest it just sounds like it needs a good service and tune up.

Yeah I agree it doesn't agree with more than 1/8th choke so its hard to warm up moving. :/ thanks for the help

#11 lewBlew

lewBlew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

You might need the carb/choke setting up properly then? It should run lovely with the choke out :proud:

#12 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

You might need the carb/choke setting up properly then? It should run lovely with the choke out :proud:

Fingers crossed.

#13 ashc94

ashc94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thanks

Eventually solved this problem. worked out it was tickover and mixture problem thanks for the help anyway guys :shades:

#14 lewBlew

lewBlew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hope you get many trouble free miles from now on!

#15 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Ok once tuned you will need to reset your governor control rod for the automatic transmission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users